Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Marine Depot
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grab a Brewski with Drewski's 90 Gallon Tank! (picture heavy)

Copepod

Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    how'd the bucket fair after all that?
    The bucket was fine. The acid didn't appear to weaken the bucket at all.

RF Staff
    cool... with so much reaction going on, i guess it would worry me a bit that the bucket could leech crap into the water, or just give up from stress...
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Copepod

cool... with so much reaction going on, i guess it would worry me a bit that the bucket could leech crap into the water, or just give up from stress...
    Well, from what I saw and researched, the acid will neutralize anything that's leached. As far as weakening the bucket, I could see that, but I saw this exact experiment done on things that are made of far weaker material, and they were just fine. But who knows, it might just take several acid washes before it takes a toll on the bucket.

RF Staff
    the acid will neutralize anything that's leached
    didn't think about that.
    I've read about a bunch of people doing it, just haven't seen pictures. The pictures made the reaction look a lot more violent than I expected. Nice to see them to kind of know what to expect if I ever felt I needed to do it.
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Fish Tank Freak
    FWIW, I clean my parts with muriatic acid exactly how Andrew described. I put my hand into it without much of a thought. It itches a bit but rinsing your skin with water removes the acid and I've never had a reddened reaction or anything from doing this. I dont recommend ever doing this but just wanted to give people an idea of how reactive diluted muriatic acid is. Its very effective but wont immediately melt your skin either.

Andrew, Your tank is looking awesome and your last goodie package was a nice one. Keep the updates coming

Blenny
    Looks great you guys did such a nice job on the stand and canopy!
    210 Gallon Display / 50 Gallon sump/Refugium
    Eheim 1262 return pump / SWC180 Cone Skimmer
    Reeffiltration LED's / Koralia K4's & Tunze 6105
    Neptune Apex

Staff Housemonkey

Never heard of the muriatic acid bath for rocks until recently.

I can see its benefits though.

However,
    If the purpose of the acid bath is remove an phosphates etc that will leach from the rocks, did you rinse it in RODI water after the acid bath, or not?
    If not, are you not worried about the phosphates in your tap water being absorbed by your newly acid washed rock?
    "Chaos, confusion, despair...my work is done here."
    ...Some guy named Murphy....

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend
    will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Copepod

this is awesome congrats on finishing it

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by trido View Post
    FWIW, I clean my parts with muriatic acid exactly how Andrew described. I put my hand into it without much of a thought. It itches a bit but rinsing your skin with water removes the acid and I've never had a reddened reaction or anything from doing this. I dont recommend ever doing this but just wanted to give people an idea of how reactive diluted muriatic acid is. Its very effective but wont immediately melt your skin either.

Andrew, Your tank is looking awesome and your last goodie package was a nice one. Keep the updates coming
    there are different concentrations of muratic acid. I can't get the stuff used to etch concrete at my local hardware anymore, and the new stuff is called "safer". there is a HUGE differnce! I have completly melted rock with the old stuff inside and hour a 1/10 or 1/15 ratio. I must assume drewski used the new stuff if you soaked for 2 hours, right??

very very nice build and build thread by the way. I'll be happy to follow along!
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

Copepod

Is there any danger breathing the fumes?

RF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC2 View Post
    Is there any danger breathing the fumes?
    I've never used it but Duane (trido) has posted about it before. So, here is a cut and paste, and link to the caution he gave the last time I asked about it
    Wear safety goggles and don't breathe the vapors straight from the bottle. If you spill it straight onto your skin it can or will burn you. I used it a lot doing brick work as a job and have had it on my skin on many many occasions and a water rinse right away otherwise it will leave a burning stinging sensation. I use it because I get tired of using a gallon of vinegar at a time, and then waiting for such a slow process to happen. Muriatic acid works very fast if you make a strong solution. As little as 15 minutes for heavily encrusted equipment.

It can be dangerous for your skin and respiratory system if care isn't used with it.
    http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads...l=1#post710744
    -Stacey
    Hidden Content

Copepod

Great looking stand! What are the measurements?
    Like the way it's a little bigger than tank.

Amphipod

nice stand. do you have any woodwork experience? i've always wanted to build me a stand that looks nice. lol i stopped with just raw 2x4 putting together

Amphipod

Great looking tank!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information