Premium Aquatics <----> AirWaterIce
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Larger zoas closed up??

  1. #1
    Hermit Crab
    xxkenny90xx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    0

    Larger zoas closed up??

    So here's the deal, I have around 20 different types of zoas and palys in my 90 gallon tank along with a few other softies, and some sps and lps and about two weeks ago 3 different types of zoas closed up and started to shrink. The weird thing is that all of my "normal" sized (maybe 1/8" to 3/16") zoas are doing great, these are ALL of my larger (maybe 5/16") zoas that are having trouble. They don't seem to be getting any worse, but I'm just not sure what's going on. Are the zoas that grow large of a different species with different requirements?? One of the colonies is in the top middle, one is in the middle, and one is bottom right in my tank (so all different areas of the tank). I did check my parameters two weeks ago and everything was great. I can check again tomorrow and post them if necessary. I am due for a biweekly water change this weekend. I have made some major changes to my tank in these two weeks (added 20lbs lr, added lta nem, switched to LEDs) but didn't change anything prior to them closing. Thanks

  2. #2
    Kevin
    kpiotrowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buckley,wa
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,649
    Rep Power
    91
    Just a shot, not a zoa or paly guy, but if its not pest I understand they do this from time time when getting ready to reproduce.
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Hermit Crab
    xxkenny90xx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    0
    I have considered pests but haven't noticed anything. Its just weird to me that all 3 groups closed up at the same time. Closing up to reproduce? Interesting, I haven't seen/heard of that before, time to do some research. Thanks

  4. #4
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by kpiotrowski View Post
    Just a shot, not a zoa or paly guy, but if its not pest I understand they do this from time time when getting ready to reproduce.
    Never heard that one.
    I would be very interested to read/look at where you got this info.

  5. #5
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by xxkenny90xx View Post
    I have made some major changes to my tank in these two weeks (added 20lbs lr, added lta nem, switched to LEDs) but didn't change anything prior to them closing. Thanks

    Change in lighting will affect any coral and some more than others.

  6. #6
    Hermit Crab
    xxkenny90xx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree but these closed before I made the switch. On a side note I did lower my whites to 30% and blues to 20% (Thanks for that advice mfinn)

  7. #7
    Kevin
    kpiotrowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buckley,wa
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,649
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    Never heard that one.
    I would be very interested to read/look at where you got this info.
    had green paly's closing. freind told me so. then noticed much more in next few weeks. I stated its not my area of expertise! just what I experienced. plus this behaviour it witnessed in many lifeforms....I didn't think is was that far of a stretch when it was told to me, and still don't.
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

  8. #8
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by kpiotrowski View Post
    had green paly's closing. freind told me so. then noticed much more in next few weeks. I stated its not my area of expertise! just what I experienced. plus this behaviour it witnessed in many lifeforms....I didn't think is was that far of a stretch when it was told to me, and still don't.

    I'm not doubting you or trying to challenge you, I was just wondering, because I haven't of that.

    Most or all zoanthids and palys close up at night and I suppose at that point you notice the new little buds popping up beside the adults.

    But I haven't heard that they close up during the day to reproduce.
    IMO, when they close up during the day, it's because of something bothering/touching them and that is their protection response.

  9. #9
    Kevin
    kpiotrowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buckley,wa
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,649
    Rep Power
    91
    Mine were closed and half closed for a few days. about 15-20 of them. I wasn't really monitoring them too close. Then it seems a short while later like a few weeks or a month the rock was covered with about double in variious sizes. only having one opinion at the time and seeing the end result, I took it as true. you just never know! I mean my elgance closed before spliting...nems do it.....what do I know lol.

    maybee they were irritated by something else and reproducing was a result of that stress???
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

  10. #10
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by kpiotrowski View Post
    Mine were closed and half closed for a few days. about 15-20 of them. I wasn't really monitoring them too close. Then it seems a short while later like a few weeks or a month the rock was covered with about double in variious sizes. only having one opinion at the time and seeing the end result, I took it as true. you just never know! I mean my elgance closed before spliting...nems do it.....what do I know lol.

    maybee they were irritated by something else and reproducing was a result of that stress???
    You could be right.
    Observation is one of the best learning tools we have.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •