Premium Aquatics <----> Marine Depot
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ozone tips

Smart Bass
    Quote Originally Posted by reefman069 View Post
    you do not break down the molecules. what happens when ran with ozone. the molecule changes to 3 times the size of what it was. so now you have bigger molecules. the bigger the molecule. more dirt and waste collects to it. thats how your skimmer will get rid of more waste
    A bit oversimplified. It does act to increase floculation enabling skimmer eficiency to increase, but pellet reacters do better. Ozone functions as a micro flocculating agent to "polish" the water and improve clarity (clarifying iron, sulfur and manganese).It is a strong oxidizer.
    Ozone is second only to fluorine as the most powerful oxidant. Ozone inactivates and oxidizes organic metals and most organisms faster than chlorine. It also breaks down large protiens. Ozone oxidizes the organic material in bacterial membranes, which weakens the cell wall and leads to cellular rupture. This exposes the organism to the external environment, which causes almost immediate death of the cell. It's similar to a knife deeply cutting deeply. So, yes it does make some minerals larger to filter easier, but also burns some organic polutants into smaller molecules. Anything that can be oxidized is accomplished faster. The final end products are either skimmed out, or consumed by the biota of our live systems. I run it more as a disinfectent than a floculizer. Mostly keep it as emergency back-up for unexpected issues. Sorry for un-spell checked posting.
    Tank Diver Mike, full grown SeaMonkey
    Hidden Content
    Yah Pays yer moneys an yah takes yer chances

Kevin
    oh the irony! had a clam spawn today ( at least i'm pretty sure that what happend) and look what the orp measurement has to say about it. also pic of the clouded tank take 2 hour into it. I didn't know what was going on at first and was too busy doing the the things we do when you all of a sudden have a cloudy tank to think about pictures.

For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

Kevin
    ps, note the glass of home made limoncello I was sipping after 2 hours of maintenance....try to calm down a bit. this is where I noticed the clam still exhibiting "coughing" on occasion. the clam had been closed a few days and was fully open today for first time. I had just taken a po4 via hanna checker and was returning to the tank for another sample and the tank was simply the cloudiest tank I had ever seen. just missed it in person! ( if in fact it was the clam spawning)....what ever it was it happened immediately and recovered in hours with mass maintenance and water change.
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information