Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Conduit Light Stand, HELP!

  1. #16
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,078
    Rep Power
    88
    Dang it all to heck!! Ugh!! The stand is made of dense fiberboard. Doesn't say medium or high. Which doesn't really matter as neither takes screws very well and may split if I were to drill into it.
    So now I'm really inna a bind. Maybe the tank mount or spieszak idea of a box type stand will be my only option.
    Learning a big ole lesson here.....
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  2. #17
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    No offense to spieszak and her idea, but I would never trust a light hanger that depended on it leaning against the stand.

    I still like the idea of a couple boards screwed into that back support.
    I'd go little wider than I first suggested. Maybe a 1"x 3" double thickness. Top and bottom.
    One 8' piece of poplar or whatever is fairly clear of knots, cut in 4 equal pieces. I doubt it would be more than $5-$6.
    Predrill the holes in the new wood, so they don't split.

    Or that hanger that was suggested.
    I think I remember another one.
    I'll look

  3. #18
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,078
    Rep Power
    88
    See I'm still concerned about drilling into the stand as it's not wood. I'll figure something out. In the mean time I really want to start cycling My waters ready! And I still need to make more.
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  4. #19
    RF Staff
    spieszak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    109
    an actual box wouldn't lean Marty, not a well built one. although the weight is more than i was thinking, so you might have to counter.balance..
    i built l brackets on the back of mine, and use a forstner to recess so the conduit would sit in it.. then bracketed to the stand. the recess takes care of any pull the weight of the light has...
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

  5. #20
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    an actual box wouldn't lean Marty, not a well built one. although the weight is more than i was thinking, so you might have to counter.balance..
    i built l brackets on the back of mine, and use a forstner to recess so the conduit would sit in it.. then bracketed to the stand. the recess takes care of any pull the weight of the light has...

    I thought about using a forstner bit to create a spot for the conduit to lay in ( in the lip), and then a thin metal strap over it with a couple screws. That would hold the top good and tight. Then the opposite on the bottom using a pieces of wood, and I have those tools, but I know not everybody else has them.

  6. #21
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaReefer View Post
    See I'm still concerned about drilling into the stand as it's not wood. I'll figure something out. In the mean time I really want to start cycling My waters ready! And I still need to make more.

    Careful use of screws and glue will work.

  7. #22
    Cleaner Shrimp

    Gryphon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Federal Way
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    0
    The stand I posted holds up to 66 lbs, and will fit on the rim as long as it isn't wider than 1.5"

    With shipping it comes out to around $66 which isn't too bad.

  8. #23
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,078
    Rep Power
    88

    Conduit Light Stand, HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    The stand I posted holds up to 66 lbs, and will fit on the rim as long as it isn't wider than 1.5"

    With shipping it comes out to around $66 which isn't too bad.
    That settles it then!! Yahoooooo fer meeee!!! Thanks Gryphon! Thank you mfinn & spieszak too, for all the support!
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  9. #24
    Cleaner Shrimp

    Gryphon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Federal Way
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    0
    No problem!

  10. #25
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaReefer View Post
    That settles it then!! Yahoooooo fer meeee!!! Thanks Gryphon! Thank you mfinn & spieszak too, for all the support!


    Looks like a good match

  11. #26
    Butterflyfish
    1guydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    p-town, WA
    Posts
    3,149
    Rep Power
    91
    I have a link on my home comp for a conduit light hanger. The bender at the local hardware store is simple enough imo to use. Ive reccomended ppl using it in the store or even returning the $40 tool after.

    Should have a star or center mark. DIY mofos!
    -d
    -299g display.

  12. #27
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,078
    Rep Power
    88
    In my case DIY is NOT cost effective. Cheaper to buy the above stand Also I'm not in the habit of buying something, using it, then returning it for a full refund. Simply put, it's dishonest!
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  13. #28
    Surgeonfish
    mfinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,964
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaReefer View Post
    In my case DIY is NOT cost effective. Cheaper to buy the above stand Also I'm not in the habit of buying something, using it, then returning it for a full refund. Simply put, it's dishonest!


    I went to Home Depot and talked with the guy in the electrical department and explained that I needed 1 bend in 2 pieces of conduit, and he volunteered to do the bends for me using a bender that was on the shelf. He thought it was silly for me to buy the $60 conduit bender for 2 bends, then never need it again.

  14. #29
    Butterflyfish
    1guydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    p-town, WA
    Posts
    3,149
    Rep Power
    91
    That's wat I'm saying!!!! Not tryin to b dis honest. Being real.
    U don't kno if u don't try nana. I'm same way.

    I see wat ur sayin nana and I've done that too. I don't think this is that bad IMO. Not like ur an electrician or plumber who would need a pipe bender full time. My .02
    Hths don't forget to show off the snazzy thing when u get er done.
    Xoxo
    -d
    -299g display.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •