BarrierReef <----> Sierra Fish & Pets

Thread: Anemone Oddity...

Hermit Crab

Anemone Oddity...

To the Invert Collective:

Recently acquired a rose bubble tip from a friend. He fragged it about a month ago. I brought it home a week ago. When I brought it home it was a brilliant hot pink with a slightly clear-white translucent base. It has done some moving around and seems to have found a spot in a nook/cranny. In the past two days it has tripled in size, and the clear-white translucent Color has dominated 70% of its total coloration now. With only the last 10% or so of the tentacles are pink, and not brilliantly so. I fed it a sliver of raw scallop p yesterday which it gobbled happily...any explanation as to why it's gone so oddly pale ? Thanks

GS

Hermit Crab

What kind of lighting are you giving it?
    Sammamish - Mixed Reef
    220 Gallon Starfire Display
    100 Gallon Sump - 55 Gallon Refugium

Hermit Crab

Taotronic tropic cheap a$$ed LED's but my other RBTA, which admittedly is ROSE colored not Olivia Newton John got pink!! And I did a slow burn acclimation(like 2hrs) and put it about 6" away from currently happy one. It slid down to visible crevasse and parked...for about 24hrs, then it ran for the hills. It dissappeared for about 24hrs then came out to its current spot and 3X it's size...WTFO?

GS

Emerald Crab

My guess is chemistry & lights. It will most likely color up as it gets used to your lights & water parameters.

Hermit Crab

Thanks. We'll see.

GS

New Forum member!

Is it eating at all?

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by jasminerice114 View Post
    Is it eating at all?
    Have tried feeding it slivers of raw scallops but my damn wrasse keeps snakin it's goodies. Recommendations for feeding it?

GS

RF Staff

feed it the same time you feed the fish. I use a turkey baster to direct some of the food into the anemone. it catches small pieces and will eat them. if the fish are fed at the same time, they should be focusing on the food floating around. You dont need to feed it much. small pieces of mysis or chopped up shrimp or scallops it catches, it will eat.

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by IPisces View Post
    feed it the same time you feed the fish. I use a turkey baster to direct some of the food into the anemone. it catches small pieces and will eat them. if the fish are fed at the same time, they should be focusing on the food floating around. You dont need to feed it much. small pieces of mysis or chopped up shrimp or scallops it catches, it will eat.
    I actually make my own food from lots of fresh raw seafood and I have noticed when feed the tank my clown pair immediately take the FIRST bite and spit into both nem...VERY cool

GS

New Forum member!

Ya what ipisces said.. Or target feed it after feeding the fish, I usually put food on 2 different sides of the tank... Of course only works if U have a long tank. But anyways if it eats and doesn't reject it, it will be just fine... I've had a clown fish beat and bite anemones to where it started bleaching. I started feeding it, moved him to a lower current area in a breeding net and was fine a few days later, now he's the size of a football

New Forum member!

Also I think force fragging an anemone is high risk for an infection... If it doesn't eat I would move it to a quarantine tank. Light current and a light.. And try to get it to eat that way

RF Staff

Well if your clowns are feeding it, then there is no reason for you to. no need to move it if it doesnt eat. anemones live on the zooxanthellae stored in them. Good lighting and excellent water conditions is what it needs. unless it is being beaten up by the clowns. an unhealthy(bleached or bleaching, meaning loosing that zooxanthellae it lives on) anemone will be too stressed to recover if clowns are trying to host it and stressing it more. Then I would move it to qt!

Hermit Crab

just thought I'd update...Nem improved drastically and has split twice since last post. Thanks guys.

GS

Thread Information