Marine Depot <----> BarrierReef
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Osama's Reef - Today's System = DT 500 G Plus 3X65G

Butterflyfish
    Bigger tank means bigger problem. I hear ya. No one wants to fight algae in a 300g dt! I just said that cuz figured it would be a pita to turn it on and off every other day... I for one would forget to turn the thing back on.

I do skim 24/7... One of my skimmers is a life reef with a dc pump too... R u using the protein skimmer or return pump with a Venturi? My other skimmer is an oversized...the skimate is clear and not sludgy. If that makes sense and I don't see anything wrong with it for wat it's worth. As long as ur not losing salt level.

Hopefully someone with big tank exp. and more exp. can chime in.
    D
    -299g display.

Amphipod
    My skimate is never light/liquid, like in my previous skimmers. When I get it skimming it is mostly thick sludge. I like skimate when it is liquid/wet with dark green. It goes from sludge to over-spilling of water as and when it chooses. So now I keep turned further down meaning more sludge and less concurrences of spilling water

Butterflyfish
    I tried placing my life reef skimmer in my sump but had water problems. The water level would go up and down... I had to place it externally next to my stand on a sw bucket to keep it above my sump. It's controlled by a gate valve.
    Maybe ur beast needs a height boost? Hths
    D
    Last edited by 1guydude; 10-26-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    -299g display.

Reef
    Since every system is different my post are for food for thought only Many tanks run without skimmers choosing other filtration means such as ATS algae turf scrubber, paper filters, ect. Myself I like to use combo's when it comes to filtering but SKIMMING is one I will always use. The reason I suggested 6+ hours at night is because of lower oxygen levels so it would help with that. Using 6+ is just a starting place, to help dial skimmer for maximum performance based against your total water volume vs true skimmer capability's per currant and future bio loads.......aka how you think it works best for you/your system Skimming with some ATS is one of my FAV ways to filter systems FWIW.
    Your past tanks show much skills above is about tweaking system/playing

Amphipod
    Thanks Spinner... Always relied on a good skimmer and this one I will end up getting it do the work or regretfully replace. My system took a lot of effort and money to get it where it is at now... Still work in progress as Matt Jensen just got busy with other big projects... I never did an ATS although I think it would be fun to try it... Thanks a million and appreciate your thoughts very much

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information