Marine Depot <----> BarrierReef
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supplement levels good but Ph still low...

Hermit Crab

supplement levels good but Ph still low...

Ok chemistry folks...

I use Randy's DIY supplement formula #2. All my numbers are staying in line but my Ph is still hovering around 8.05...Anything I can do to keep it closer to 8.15-2.0?

Thanks
    GS

90 gal...with rock and sump calling it 100 gal volume.

Ca-440
    Alk-11.5
    Mg-1350
    Amm...0
    No2...0
    N03... .5
    PO4....5

RF Staff
    At what time is that pH at 8.05 ?

Most pH issues are due to high room air CO2. Adding buffers to raise the pH is not a good idea as the Alk just keeps climbing.
    Boomer

Want to Talk Chemistry ! Hidden Content

Want to See More !

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you See Me Running You Better Catch-Up

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Butterflyfish
    +1 don't go chasing ph. Ph will rise and level out as ur water matures. Ph usually drops at night...With alk. Which is why some people wake up next day to a dead coral...
    Imo u can open a window a cpl hrs a day and see if it helps keep it stable. Hths and look to wat boomer has to say! Fwiw most all of our ph will be at 7.8-8

D
    -299g display.

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by 1guydude View Post
    +1 don't go chasing ph. Ph will rise and level out as ur water matures. Ph usually drops at night...With alk. Which is why some people wake up next day to a dead coral...
    Imo u can open a window a cpl hrs a day and see if it helps keep it stable. Hths and look to wat boomer has to say! Fwiw most all of our ph will be at 7.8-8

D

Yes, I agree, chasing numbers will just wear you out.

Hermit Crab

Realizing after watching it for a few days but it does seem to fluctuate a little at night, but I guess as long as you can go as low as 7.8 then I shouldn't worry. Thanks for the info guys.

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by gREEF Stricken View Post
    Realizing after watching it for a few days but it does seem to fluctuate a little at night, but I guess as long as you can go as low as 7.8 then I shouldn't worry. Thanks for the info guys.

One of the reasons many light their refugium at night. Reverse daylight schedule. Helps reduce the amount of fluctuation.

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    One of the reasons many light their refugium at night. Reverse daylight schedule. Helps reduce the amount of fluctuation.
    I have done this since day one. I did a lot of reading before I started.

Sea Urchin

supplement levels good but Ph still low...

Quote Originally Posted by gREEF Stricken View Post
    I have done this since day one. I did a lot of reading before I started.
    How's that been working out for you? PH still at 8.0? What time of the day are you testing and how far from when you dose your ALK?
    Last edited by NanaReefer; 11-04-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Apex controller so insta-read. I dose at night and in the morning. Never see over 8.2 except shortly after ALK dose
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaReefer View Post
    How's that been working out for you? PH still at 8.5? What time of the day are you testing and how far from when you dose your ALK?

Sea Urchin
    You know your PH is totally acceptable right? Drop Randy a PM, I'm sure he'll put your mind at ease

Hermit Crab

I am coming to realize this. Just never seems to want to climb over 8.2. I'll quit fussin, everything is growin. And one of my RBTA's just split off a little baby!!

You know your PH is totally acceptable right? Drop Randy a PM, I'm sure he'll put your mind at ease

tat2z_21

Boomer is riht, as you guys start to close your windows and running the heater, the CO2 in your house raises, as the surface of your water exchanges oxygen it also pulls in this CO2. As we all know CO2 lowers your ph just like we do in a calcium reactor. Try taking a bowl of your tank water test it indoors, then take it out side and let it sit for 5 minutes stirring it with a spoon. Then test it again.
    Olduvai Theory - This is a one-shot affair. If we fail, this planetary system fails so far as intelligence is concerned. The same will be true of other planetary systems. On each of them there will be one chance, and one chance only.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Interesting.i'll give it a try
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2z_21 View Post
    Boomer is riht, as you guys start to close your windows and running the heater, the CO2 in your house raises, as the surface of your water exchanges oxygen it also pulls in this CO2. As we all know CO2 lowers your ph just like we do in a calcium reactor. Try taking a bowl of your tank water test it indoors, then take it out side and let it sit for 5 minutes stirring it with a spoon. Then test it again.

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2z_21 View Post
    Ok nice to know but then what's the fix for those of us with 8 months of cold as the Arctic winters? Lol

Surgeonfish
    Ok nice to know but then what's the fix for those of us with 8 months of cold as the Arctic winters? Lol

I've read where people will run a air line to the outside from the skimmer air intake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information