Premium Aquatics <----> BarrierReef
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAND, lots of it

Owner / Administrator
    Probably not a bad idea, not like you'll be doing it on a regular basis.

Kevin
    I have always started my systems running fresh tap water to help clean the dead dry rock. you would think that if using tap water to wash sand was a problem then think of all that contact time ( like a month) the tap water had in my systems.
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

RF Staff
    Your theories on reef keeping Kevin, if nothing else, are interesting. That is not something I'd do.. and why I've been curing my dry rock for better than a month. Phosphate readings started at 1.74 (yes, that says ONE point seven four). Down to .09 now though.

Smart Bass
    Tap water for washing anything, sand, rock, the like. There are very few impurities in US water system, quite regulated. Now adding I to your tank to replace evaporation day after day/ week after week is a different matter.
    Tank Diver Mike, full grown SeaMonkey
    Hidden Content
    Yah Pays yer moneys an yah takes yer chances

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    Your theories on reef keeping Kevin, if nothing else, are interesting. That is not something I'd do.. and why I've been curing my dry rock for better than a month. Phosphate readings started at 1.74 (yes, that says ONE point seven four). Down to .09 now though.
    this is why I do a "bath" in freshwater to clean the rock a while. many do complete water changes after cycling to get rid of nutrients and give their tank a good start . I figure Its cheaper to do it with freshwater rather than dumping all the salt mix. Its actually not original thinking. I learned it!
    For as much as we think we know that smartest thing you will ever realize is how little you really know.Hidden Content

RF Staff
    ah. its been presented to me that until you mimic reef conditions, you aren't likely going to get the nasty out. That the salt enables chemical reactions that would not occur otherwise. regardless, we've all got our ways, and ways of dealing with the aftermath of our ways.

Butterflyfish
    What? Lol
    Phosphates, nitrates, cyano is all present in all our tanks. Just hopefully not enough to be seen lol.

A lot of detritus gets caught up in the sand. Why we rinse it... yes Rodi would absorb more junk but imo it's not cost efficent. If ur really worried about sand, go buy "new" sand lol.
    360#s of it lol.
    -d
    -299g display.

RF Staff
    It is new sand D. I don't know where I'd find 360 pounds of used.

Oh, and it seems like notifications don't work once things are 'promoted' to article or whatever.
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information