Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One step closer!

Copepod

Ya 1guy, I suppose I could have made the baffles a hair shorter it is a pretty full sump, but too late now! The display FINALLY has enough water in it and has been running all day, got the water flow tuned it pretty good. I am going to pick up a filter sock tomorrow at local LFS to get the dust from the sand cleared out grrrr freakin sand.

Krish, last night I shut off the return pump to see if the sump could handle the water load. After the overflows emptied, all the sudden the rest of the tank was lowering and lowering and lowering. My heart skipped a beat as I imagined my house flooded with water because I didn't know what was happening. Then we realized the return nozzles where siphoning out the display and dumping it into the sump through the pump! I guess we should shorten the return nozzles a bit.....

Copepod

Pepcrylic that is intense.

Hermit Crab

Not as intense as doing the first leak test will be, in the living room with hard wood floors. LOL

RF Staff
    no need to shorten the returns. tiny little siphon break hole will fix that.. use a drill bit (make sure the hole faces down into the water). doesn't need to be big, just enough to let some air in.
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by michellechristine View Post
    Ya 1guy, I suppose I could have made the baffles a hair shorter it is a pretty full sump, but too late now! The display FINALLY has enough water in it and has been running all day, got the water flow tuned it pretty good. I am going to pick up a filter sock tomorrow at local LFS to get the dust from the sand cleared out grrrr freakin sand.

Krish, last night I shut off the return pump to see if the sump could handle the water load. After the overflows emptied, all the sudden the rest of the tank was lowering and lowering and lowering. My heart skipped a beat as I imagined my house flooded with water because I didn't know what was happening. Then we realized the return nozzles where siphoning out the display and dumping it into the sump through the pump! I guess we should shorten the return nozzles a bit.....

As said a siphon break would help stop all the extra water from draining back to the sump, but there are risks doing that.
    Shortening the return in the tank will work best.

What size filter soaks you need?

RF Staff
    What are the risks of a siphon break Marty? i'm sure they are there, but a small hole in the locline that is nornally below water doesn't seem to pose much risk...
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    What are the risks of a siphon break Marty? i'm sure they are there, but a small hole in the locline that is nornally below water doesn't seem to pose much risk...
    Don't get me wrong, I use them too. But there is a risk of a snail planting his butt right on the hole at the moment the power goes out. Long shot odds? Yeah, but someone wins the lottery all the time.

Then there is the different types of algae that will grow over a neglected siphon break hole.
    On my old tank, I used them on my return line that went way under the surface.
    I made sure that I checked that hole every two weeks on water change day.
    Something that was just part of the routine.
    But it's a easy one to forget.

RF Staff
    cool. thanks for the follow up Marty. that makes perfect sense.
    -Stacey
    Hidden Content

Copepod

Ya thanks Marty I was wondering too. I was also thinking of trying an eductor/flow accelerator to replace my loc-line flare nozzles for the returns. Was checking these two out, does anyone have experience using something similar?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-threaded-eductor.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydra_Aqu...FIFTFB-vi.html

Surgeonfish
    I considered using the one from marinedepot, but decided not to because I wanted to try and minimize the amount of locline plastic that could be seen in the tank.
    I know a lot of people use them and have seen threads where people make their own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information