Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Marine Depot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 gallon tank semi crash

Sea Urchin

60 gallon tank semi crash

Well,this will be a bit of a read but bear with me! This has been going on in my tank now for more then 6 months! I am getting No coral growth what so ever. My acros have little polyp extension and just start RTN after a while, zoas melt, lps and anemones have little extension. Now, I am not new to this reef game (20+Years) and I have had some incredible growth in all phases of the the game but....something happened! Let's go back a bit. For many years my 60 gallon cube harbored an incredible reef. I grew out to great colonies of colorful millies, oregon tort, and various other acros along with hammers,duncans,zoas,chalices,acans etc. About 3 years ago we had a family crisis and I let the tank go on maintenance to the point that I was losing a lot of prized items! I removed most of them and handed them out to friends thinking one day I'll get back up to speed. Things started getting back to normal about a year and a half ago and I proceeded to get the tank back into shape. Drained it, scraped the rock, cleaned algae, skimmer sump, vinegared all the pumps. In March of 2013 I refired up the old girl and waited for the cycle to end, restocked and everything was going great. In June of 2014 I started noticing my sps with little to no polyp extension....no worries ...ran some tests everything checked out but I did a water change anyway (20% as always) there was a slight recovery and I thought everything was fine. Then the zoas closed up and wouldn't open and others started looking not so good also. Check parameters again (Cal,Alk,Mag, Salinty, Phosphate) all MORE then good...so I ran a little extra BRS Rox carbon and purigen. nothing CHANGED! Now, I have a 29 gallon a run in the basement with the same parameters as the 60 gallon. One difference ...the 29 is oover run with Caulerpa Racemosa. I move a bunch of the acro and a few zoas to this tank and....it a few weeks they are doing great! So I am thinking....I don't run a refugium on the 60 gallon(very little space) but I am going to try a small one and see what happens. has anyone else had a similar experience? I am just pulling out the little bit of hair I still have!

RF Staff
    have you done a nitrate test?
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Lights? Top off water? High co2 in house? tank warfair? tank food?RO/DI filter change? Hair club for men??

Butterflyfish
    Do a set of three wcs on the same day for three months. E.g. A schedule or routine. I kno ur not new just thinking it may help the tank to get those larger than norm wcs
    Hths
    D
    -299g display.

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    have you done a nitrate test?
    Yep....never above 3ppm..................

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepcrylic View Post
    Lights? Top off water? High co2 in house? tank warfair? tank food?RO/DI filter change? Hair club for men??
    LED running for 3 years now, 40% white, 100% blue, RO/DI, my house is old and VERY drafty, nothing close enough for war/ no softies in tank, frozen food same i've used for years now, filter change done twice in last 6 months, I', kinda getting used to the bald look!

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by 1guydude View Post
    Do a set of three wcs on the same day for three months. E.g. A schedule or routine. I kno ur not new just thinking it may help the tank to get those larger than norm wcs
    Hths
    D
    I did 40% changes 6 times twice a week.

Fish lover
    Maybe stray voltage or something along those lines
    Shannon & Lisa Hidden Content

Sea Urchin
    Maybe stray voltage or something along those lines

Haven't tested for it but i bought new return pump,skimmer pump, heater hoping that would resolve any of those issues. My ciculating pump is Mp-40 so I am sure no stray voltage there!

Butterflyfish
    Do u run a RO membrane? those gotta b changed every 5 yrs or so.
    DI resin is 1 a yr.
    filter 6 months or annually depending on water quality that goes through the unit.

Maybe the lighting? Up the whites a lil?! Wat is the diffrence between ur two tanks lights>?
    Dialed in ur refractormeter or TDS meter or get new ones?!?! HTHS
    -d
    -299g display.

Fish lover
    Take a water sample to barrier or obd and have it tested just to compare the results. Maybe you have a bad kit or refractometer. Maybe even a bad batch of salt perhaps
    Shannon & Lisa Hidden Content

RF Staff
    what kind of led is it? i know of one person who having had run a specific one for a few years decided they were over time hurting not helping. scenario sounds about the same honestly... but its second hand so i don't want to disaparage a brand. you have an old t5 or mh setup you could swap to for a month or two?
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by loohunter View Post
    Take a water sample to barrier or obd and have it tested just to compare the results. Maybe you have a bad kit or refractometer. Maybe even a bad batch of salt perhaps
    The salt has been from many different buckets. Thinking about taking a sample to OBD but i haven't been in the area lately.

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    what kind of led is it? i know of one person who having had run a specific one for a few years decided they were over time hurting not helping. scenario sounds about the same honestly... but its second hand so i don't want to disaparage a brand. you have an old t5 or mh setup you could swap to for a month or two?
    They are a custom made evergrow LED. Natalia has the same units running on her tanks and hasn't had any problems. i also run the same unit on my 29 gallon and everything is fine in there.

Sea Urchin
    I REALLY appreciate all the comments. Sometimes it better to have many eyes rather then my two. For what it's worth i am installing a small fuge in the 60 sump to see if it will have any effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information