Premium Aquatics <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pod resources...

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lip View Post
    Rotifers are not pod food. Most copepods eat phytoplankton. Some eat detritus. I believe if you culture other strains of phytoplankton, you will need to culture each strain seperately. Some of the strains of phytoplankton stink. Phyto-feast has multiple strains condensed. A little goes a long way & will remain good for 6 months in the refrigerator. I thought about culturing multiple strains of phytoplankton until i heard some are difficult & stink.
    My Phyto culture station is in my garage so an off odor isn't prohibitive. Define "difficult to grow."

GS

Emerald Crab

I have not cultured phytoplankton myself. I have looked into it because my clownfish spawned & i would like to try & raise them. I have read that nannochloropsis is relatively easy to culture. Some other strains are more difficult to culture because the cultures crash after reaching a certain density. What are you using for fertilizer? I have read that some people use miracle grow but i read in other articles that it produces poor nutritionaly phytoplankton . Guillard's f2 is supposed to be good.

Hermit Crab

I have not cultured phytoplankton myself. I have looked into it because my clownfish spawned & i would like to try & raise them. I have read that nannochloropsis is relatively easy to culture. Some other strains are more difficult to culture because the cultures crash after reaching a certain density. What are you using for fertilizer? I have read that some people use miracle grow but i read in other articles that it produces poor nutritionaly phytoplankton . Guillard's f2 is supposed to be good.
    I have healthy culture of Nanno going and and almost ready to post an ad for my surplus. I use Guilliards. Works great.

Emerald Crab

Reefs2go currently has 2000 pods for $25.

Hermit Crab

Reefs2go currently has 2000 pods for $25.
    Thanks BL. Just ordered 2K...jump startin this biznatch. Added Tig Californicus yesterday. Have decided to go ahead and restock each species once every six months so that I can culture all together and not have a single species outcompete over six months.

GS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information