AirWaterIce <----> Marine Depot

Thread: Pluming question

chris

Pluming question

Looking for some advice on re: plumbing for a 60 gallon cube with three standpipes in the over flow (3/4" return to the display, 1" Herbie drain, 1" backup drain). First attempt at pluming resulted in many leaks so trying to isolate problems. Pretty sure cementing and threaded pieces are good.
    1. do I Teflon tape the threads on the three bulkheads that connect standpipes to the pluming below into the sump?
    2. Does it matter if the rubber bulkhead washer is on the overflow side (top), or on the 'dry' side /bottom of the tank which faces the sump? Make sense?
    Thanks for any ideas

Surgeonfish
    The rubber gasket needs to be on the water side.
    Don't use Teflon tape on the bulkhead threads that tighten the bulkheads to the glass.( if that's what the question was)

On my last plumbing project I used a thread paste.

I recently read where this type is designed to use with pvc.

http://www.amazon.com/Plasto-Joint-P...thread+sealant

chris
    Thank you for your reply and the tip on the thread paste. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    The rubber gasket needs to be on the water side.
    Don't use Teflon tape on the bulkhead threads that tighten the bulkheads to the glass.( if that's what the question was)

On my last plumbing project I used a thread paste.

I recently read where this type is designed to use with pvc.

http://www.amazon.com/Plasto-Joint-P...thread+sealant

Surgeonfish
    One of the reasons I looked to other ways to seal pvc threads was one Sunday I took a closed loop pump off line to clean it and when I was putting the fittings back on I replaced the Teflon tape. Something I'd done dozens of times before over the course of a couple decades.
    Everything was fine after turning on the pump, until the next morning when the alarm went off to go to work.
    My wife got up to start the coffee ( bless her heart ) and I heard her say " Oh Crap" !!!
    Seems one of the threaded fittings I replaced the Teflon tape on had split ( too much tape ? ) during the night and was blowing water out in a stream onto the floor. About 60 gallons worth.
    It had spread through out the kitchen and dining room floor ( pergo) and about 6' onto the living room carpet.
    I also found out that as I stepped through the water to get to the garage for towels and a wet/dry vac, I made the mistake of touching the little screw that holds the light switch cover on ( turning on the garage light) while bare foot in saltwater.

chris
    Ugh! Every hobbiest 's worse nightmare! Odd the fitting split on you. Seems like that paste is money well spent. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    One of the reasons I looked to other ways to seal pvc threads was one Sunday I took a closed loop pump off line to clean it and when I was putting the fittings back on I replaced the Teflon tape. Something I'd done dozens of times before over the course of a couple decades.
    Everything was fine after turning on the pump, until the next morning when the alarm went off to go to work.
    My wife got up to start the coffee ( bless her heart ) and I heard her say " Oh Crap" !!!
    Seems one of the threaded fittings I replaced the Teflon tape on had split ( too much tape ? ) during the night and was blowing water out in a stream onto the floor. About 60 gallons worth.
    It had spread through out the kitchen and dining room floor ( pergo) and about 6' onto the living room carpet.
    I also found out that as I stepped through the water to get to the garage for towels and a wet/dry vac, I made the mistake of touching the little screw that holds the light switch cover on ( turning on the garage light) while bare foot in saltwater.

chris
    Would you also recommend using the paste for unions or use teflon tape?

Surgeonfish
    I don't put anything on unions.

Surgeonfish
    The threads on a union only bring the 2 halves together with the o-ring in the middle being the seal.

chris
    Cool. Thanks

Butterflyfish
    Yuuuuuuup +1 lol
    Storage wars is a motha
    D
    -299g display.

Thread Information