Clear Fabrications <----> Marine Depot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: How Raise the Alkalinity

  1. #1
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0

    How Raise the Alkalinity

    Alkalinity 7.00
    Ph 7.8
    This is the numbers I want to know how to raise the alkalinity and PH?

  2. #2
    Sea Urchin
    tike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tacoma,WA
    Posts
    1,915
    Rep Power
    117
    Whats your calcium reading? You can raise alk by using a 2 part dosing solutions. What time of the day did you measure pH? What salt are you using? These answers can better help us with your problem.

  3. #3
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tike View Post
    Whats your calcium reading? You can raise alk by using a 2 part dosing solutions. What time of the day did you measure pH? What salt are you using? These answers can better help us with your problem.
    Calcium 460 I measure on the evening like 6 o 7pm and I used Instants Ocean purple color thank you
    Last edited by Jen30; 03-23-2015 at 12:12 AM.

  4. #4
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    87

    How Raise the Alkalinity

    Are you mixing to 1.025 or 1.026?
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaReefer View Post
    Are you mixing to 1.025 or 1.026?
    Mixing to 1.025

  6. #6
    Sea Urchin
    tike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tacoma,WA
    Posts
    1,915
    Rep Power
    117
    I.O runs on the low side for alk. You will need to dose it to get it around 8-9 dKh

  7. #7
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tike View Post
    I.O runs on the low side for alk. You will need to dose it to get it around 8-9 dKh
    I'm sorry but what is this I.O??
    Last edited by Jen30; 03-23-2015 at 12:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Expert

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Posts
    4,061
    Rep Power
    108
    Hello,
    IO is short for Instant Ocean brand of salt mix.

    Regards,
    Kevin
    SPS Guy
    On - On


    Need information? Look here:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Hello,
    IO is short for Instant Ocean brand of salt mix.

    Regards,
    Kevin
    Ok thank you!

  10. #10
    Hermit Crab

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London Ontario
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    0
    First thing to do is to take a water sample from the tank and place it outdoors with aeration for an hour or two.
    If the pH reading improves even by .1 from before aeration and after aeration you have a gas exchange problem.
    IMO, an alk reading of 7 should not by itself be a problem for pH.
    You can have an even higher alk reading, but if the gas exchange at the surface is insufficient then it is not going to solve a low pH problem.
    Solution then would be to get more turmoil of the water's surface, and/or get less CO2 laden air to the surface from perhaps an outside source.
    This problem is exacerbated in situations where the home is shut up (windows closed) for heating reasons or for air conditioning reasons.
    If you find alk is insufficient to control the pH, you can buy ordinary baking soda and add some dissolved mix to the tank which will initially lower the pH but shortly after the pH should rise again.
    I prefer to bake the baking soda at 300F for an hour (it makes washing soda) and then with that mix, the initial pH will rise first and then settle back to what you need, assuming it is the problem.

  11. #11
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
    First thing to do is to take a water sample from the tank and place it outdoors with aeration for an hour or two.
    If the pH reading improves even by .1 from before aeration and after aeration you have a gas exchange problem.
    IMO, an alk reading of 7 should not by itself be a problem for pH.
    You can have an even higher alk reading, but if the gas exchange at the surface is insufficient then it is not going to solve a low pH problem.
    Solution then would be to get more turmoil of the water's surface, and/or get less CO2 laden air to the surface from perhaps an outside source.
    This problem is exacerbated in situations where the home is shut up (windows closed) for heating reasons or for air conditioning reasons.
    If you find alk is insufficient to control the pH, you can buy ordinary baking soda and add some dissolved mix to the tank which will initially lower the pH but shortly after the pH should rise again.
    I prefer to bake the baking soda at 300F for an hour (it makes washing soda) and then with that mix, the initial pH will rise first and then settle back to what you need, assuming it is the problem.
    Ok thank you so much and yes my tank is close to Window and i have my Window closed..

  12. #12
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    87
    Or you could just buy BulkReefSupplys 2part and by using their reef calculator dose accordingly...easy peezy
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  13. #13
    Hermit Crab

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London Ontario
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    0
    Additives are NOT the answer if gas exchange is insufficient.
    I should have also mentioned that as the calcium is already sufficient, a two part addition is not needed, just the alk part IF ACTUALLY NEEDED.
    In that case, the baking soda works just fine is is cheaper than commercial buying.

  14. #14
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
    Additives are NOT the answer if gas exchange is insufficient.
    I should have also mentioned that as the calcium is already sufficient, a two part addition is not needed, just the alk part IF ACTUALLY NEEDED.
    In that case, the baking soda works just fine is is cheaper than commercial buying.

    how much baking soda I need to used for 120 gallons tank? In case of I do it

  15. #15
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    87
    Increase your tank surface agitation
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •