Marine Depot <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: How Raise the Alkalinity

  1. #16
    Hermit Crab

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London Ontario
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen30 View Post
    how much baking soda I need to used for 120 gallons tank? In case of I do it
    Every tank is different so you have to experiment until you see how much is needed. Obviously best to do smaller amounts until you find out what your tank has need of.
    AGAIN THOUGH, don't do it unless you find it isn't going to be helped by proper gas exchange.
    Last edited by rayjay; 03-23-2015 at 11:13 PM.

  2. #17
    Sea Urchin
    NanaReefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P. of Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,078
    Rep Power
    88

    How Raise the Alkalinity

    Best reads concerning the relationship between calcium, alkalinity and PH. According to the expert Randy Holmes-Farley
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

  3. #18
    Sea Urchin
    tike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tacoma,WA
    Posts
    1,915
    Rep Power
    117
    What I would do first is.......mix up a batch of saltwater, test that for pH, alk and cal...magnesium if you have the test, and match that with the readings from your tank. Post the readings here and then we will all go from there.

  4. #19
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
    Every tank is different so you have to experiment until you see how much is needed. Obviously best to do smaller amounts until you find out what your tank has need of.
    AGAIN THOUGH, don't do it unless you find it isn't going to be helped by proper gas exchange.
    Ok thank you so much!

  5. #20
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tike View Post
    What I would do first is.......mix up a batch of saltwater, test that for pH, alk and cal...magnesium if you have the test, and match that with the readings from your tank. Post the readings here and then we will all go from there.
    Ok thank you!!!!

  6. #21
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank to all for the time to help me with this

  7. #22
    Emerald Crab

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Spokane Washington?
    Posts
    255
    Rep Power
    20
    I like brightwell alkalin 8.3. I am getting low & saw dr foster & smith had a sale on their name brand so I ordered carbonate & bicarbonate. When you raise the alkalinity & ph of your tank, do it slowly or you can kill your fish.

  8. #23
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lip View Post
    I like brightwell alkalin 8.3. I am getting low & saw dr foster & smith had a sale on their name brand so I ordered carbonate & bicarbonate. When you raise the alkalinity & ph of your tank, do it slowly or you can kill your fish.
    Ok thank you!!

  9. #24
    Butterflyfish
    1guydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    p-town, WA
    Posts
    3,149
    Rep Power
    91
    ph of 7.8 imo is not bad! If u went around and tested a lot of our tanks would read 7.8
    Ph will rise as the water matures. Also raising the alk and ph 2 quickly will result in coral death before fish death LOL. Not that i kno u have corals.

    Yes u can take baking soda and make ash with it. This is old school imo.
    7alk or dkh is not bad a lil low cuz i like 8-10 but fine as long as its constant. Coral and marine fish like stable constant parameters. I just had a shift in both my tanks...
    my .02
    -d
    -299g display.

  10. #25
    Amphipod
    Jen30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    0
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by 1guydude View Post
    ph of 7.8 imo is not bad! If u went around and tested a lot of our tanks would read 7.8
    Ph will rise as the water matures. Also raising the alk and ph 2 quickly will result in coral death before fish death LOL. Not that i kno u have corals.

    Yes u can take baking soda and make ash with it. This is old school imo.
    7alk or dkh is not bad a lil low cuz i like 8-10 but fine as long as its constant. Coral and marine fish like stable constant parameters. I just had a shift in both my tanks...
    my .02
    -d
    Thanks for all information

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •