AirWaterIce <---->
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A Golden Reef Tank

Goby
    ahh ok awesome! im just used to the cheap individual kind at the outlet themselves. I should have known that you already thought of it. Keep up the posts, drooling over here for more.
    Professional smartass and reef gardener wannabe.
    DarthV247

Sea Urchin
    Reminds of the innards of the ship from Aliens-lol. Mind boggling!
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Copepod
    Way Cool!!!

Emerald Crab

Checking in, to see what's golden in Golden

Goby

I kind of gave up on this thread when photobucket dumped all of my photos and demanded a ransom. Looking back at the photos, it seems they have reconsidered some of their previous actions. I switched providers but didn?t feel like rebuilding the thread.

Anyway, the tank has been running water since September. I have had multiple unexpected dramas as a result of not QT?ing algea and mangroves I ordered online. I?ve been dealing with Dinoflagilates, Diatoms, Spirulina in plague proportions. All of those are enemies I?ve never battled before in my 20 years of on and off reefing. Each problem has appeared and gained traction after I treated the previous.

I was doing massive water changes and letting the rock cook for months before even ramping up lights. So, while I knew the dry pukani rock was notorious for leeching junk, I didn?t expect this. Especially after doing 50-75% water changes and running a gallon of GFO and a gallon of carbon in separate reactors. How could I possibly have excessive nutrients?

That problem is compounded with the fact that I was still trying to complete the various other aesthetic touches on the tank. I don?t have time to pay attention to exact water parameters closely.

Anyway, I?ve got my head down and I?m driving forward. I added UV to the QT and display. I have never liked using UV but it might be a necessary evil to run periodically if Dino?s reappear.

I?ll update with photos of the finished hood. I added a DIY remote controlled hood system to the tank which turned out great. I completed the hood facade and the rest of the cabinetry in the basement.

This weekend, with most of the water drama stable for a month now, I?m picking up a Blonde Naso and a Powder Blue. I have three lonely Bartlett?s in the display that are doing well and a Yellow Tang that has been in QT for two months. He needs to see the big tank soon but I want to introduce all of the tangs at once to their new home.

RF Staff
    Would love to see some pictures, even with the issues....
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Goby

Silly photobucket. The old pictures are showing up in Tapatalk but not through typical online browsers.

I will work on getting updated pictures of where this all sits today. Thanks for following, those of you still hanging out here.

Emerald Crab

Yes we will survive w/o photobucket. I have never even used it (I always upload to the forum).

I was doing massive water changes and letting the rock cook for months before even ramping up lights. So, while I knew the dry pukani rock was notorious for leeching junk, I didn?t expect this. Especially after doing 50-75% water changes and running a gallon of GFO and a gallon of carbon in separate reactors. How could I possibly have excessive nutrients?
    WC's don't do much, and only do it that one day. The rocks-cooking could have been done "wrong". Carbon does not remove nutrients. GFO does not remove nitrogen; and seeing that you had diatoms, it appears the GFO was not "finished" working. So I would expect a nutrient problem, especially in the first 6 months, before periphyton has grown on the rocks.

I have never liked using UV but it might be a necessary evil to run periodically if Dino?s reappear
    Best for ick and other pests. Not dino's. Dino's and diatoms are the most easily eradicated if you have any nutrient export at all. So the fact that you have them means most nutrients are not being exported.

Goby

Some pictures since the photobucket drama. In case anyone still wanted to see the whole progression.

Goby

Goby

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4237/35740609462_fe5c1bb094_h.jpg[/img

Goby

Goby

Goby

Goby

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information