Marine Depot <----> AirWaterIce

Thread: light fixture for larger tank

New Forum member!

light fixture for larger tank

hello
    guys, Will it be difficult to remodel the T5 fixture for a larger aquarium? I havenít purchased it. My friend used this lighting fixture for his 90 gallon aquarium and now he is changing all his equipment. He gave me the T5 fixture. I want to buy 170 gallon reef tank. What lamps is better to mount there? Iím curious about the brightness.
    thanks for yuor opinion and tips..

Butterflyfish
    Well how big is the 170g?
    Imo the light puts out wat the light puts out. You can only make it brighter by adding more light. E.g. leds, t5 bulbs with endcaps and re wire.
    Changing bulbs will change the spectrum or color of the light wave lengths not increase brightness or par or anything. Hths
    D
    -299g display.

Emerald Crab

You can be successful growing coral with t5, 'metal halides, leds, combinatiions. Really depends on personal preference.

Butterflyfish
    Also depends on the size of the fixture, wattage, depth of tank, type of coral ect...
    D
    -299g display.

New Forum member!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1guydude View Post
    Also depends on the size of the fixture, wattage, depth of tank, type of coral ect...
    D
    the size of tank: 72" x 24" x 25"
    I haven’t decided what type of corals to buy. I’m reading, comparing, researching… 

New Forum member!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lip View Post
    You can be successful growing coral with t5, 'metal halides, leds, combinatiions. Really depends on personal preference.
    the majority of Led lamps (quality) are expensive. I assume that they really consume less comparing to the usual lamps. I know some tank owners light with a help of fluorescent bulbs. Here is what I have now https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/ballasts/fluorescent-ballasts/1854544_flft513w827_fulham-lighting/ My father bought 10 items for his garage. He does not use them, can I mount it to light the corals?

Thread Information