Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Clear Fabrications

Thread: coral turning a white color

Copepod

coral turning a white color

Alright so since I set my 75 gallon tank I've put my corals in it and they been in it for almost a month now I believe. the softer coral are doing great so far, but my other hard corals are starting to turn white (not bleaching). One still has its bright green polyps but the base I suppose is turning white instead of brown like it was when I put it in. Same thing for two others as well and the lights have been the same even when I transferred to the 75 gallon tank.

Expert

Hello,
    A photograph would be very helpful. When SPS corals are stressed they can expel their Zooxanthellae. This can be caused by high water temperature (above 85F), mineral content, PH, salinity, etc. These can be some things to check. Lighting that is too high in intensity can also cause bleaching. Large volumes of new water can be much more clear which allows the light to transmit more efficiently.

Regards,
    Kevin
    SPS Guy
    On - On

Need information? Look here:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Hello,
    A photograph would be very helpful. When SPS corals are stressed they can expel their Zooxanthellae. This can be caused by high water temperature (above 85F), mineral content, PH, salinity, etc. These can be some things to check. Lighting that is too high in intensity can also cause bleaching. Large volumes of new water can be much more clear which allows the light to transmit more efficiently.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Large volumes of water can be much more clear? How so?
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Expert

Hello,
    Some of the byproducts of the biological processes occurring in your tank are tannins which yellow the water and reduce light transmission. An interesting demonstration I used to perform is to take two white 5 gallon buckets and fill one with tank water that appears perfectly clear and another with freshly mixed salt water. Look down from the top of the two buckets side by side and the bottom of the bucket of water from the tank appears with a yellow tint while the new salt water appears perfectly white. Adding ozone to a tank can have the same effect and can make the tank appear like your lights have suddenly shifted more to the blue end of the spectrum.

Regards,
    Kevin
    SPS Guy
    On - On

Need information? Look here:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Copepod

Hey! Sorry for the late reply but here's a couple pictures of the coral. I'm using my phome so see how thus goes.
    20160220_093424.jpg20160219_080127_Richtone(HDR).jpg20160219_080127_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Thread Information