Clear Fabrications <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its Started!

Surgeonfish
    Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Copepod

Quote Originally Posted by Therapy1 View Post
    Talked with Mike just a few minutes ago. Working up a whole new overflow design. Crunching numbers now as far as tank stresses and such. I hope my new idea works. So excited. Will update with the thought if it proves feasible.
    Just curious how much it costs to ship that tank from Washington State to NY?

Copepod

Surprisingly, not too bad. About 300 bucks if I pick it up at the terminal. 400 for home delivery. About 100 more than what available from others closer. Worth it for having Mike work with me on the design.

Still waiting for Mike to check feasibility on overflow design.
    Tom
    Syracuse NY------ 240 in progress

Copepod

Quote Originally Posted by Therapy1 View Post
    Surprisingly, not too bad. About 300 bucks if I pick it up at the terminal. 400 for home delivery. About 100 more than what available from others closer. Worth it for having Mike work with me on the design.

Still waiting for Mike to check feasibility on overflow design.
    Thank you.
    I m looking to get the tank exactly the one you are talking about. 72x30x26. I like rimless but Mike told me he could not do it. After you finalized it, can you show us the picture or at least a sketch of your tank?
    zip70

Copepod

Zip, have no doubt that all progress will be posted.

Currently just my Q tank set up with Live Rock cycling. (done) and prepping house for intro for the new tank. I assume nobody wants to see a lame Q tank so the rest will be fully documented.

Really excited for the revised overflow system if its feasible.
    Tom

Copepod

Boy do I have a lot of updating to do for you people. LONG post...sorry.

There has been a lot of good, and bad things happening. But I am still pushing forward as I look for solutions. And that's why I am posting here now.

Where to start....
    As I may have stated much earlier, I used to have a hobby business doing this reefing addiction. One of my friends-customers had a few tanks that I helped them sort out. (10 years ago) Well, my friends have come into serious health issues and asked me to take their remaining 75 gal tank as they just couldn't care for it anymore. So I took the livestock and dropped them in my awaiting Q-tank. I know it is a serious issue dropping them into a barely cycled Q tank but I had no choice as moving a 75 with 150# plus of live rock would create havoc. The tank was a worse case scenario with detritus buildup measurable with a ruler in the tank. Can you say obscene nitrates? Took me a week to scrub the tank and accessories down. (I am older now and on meds after a cpl strokes and don't have the energy I used to and must take things slow)

Livestock acquired in tank rescue include 2 Hippo's about 6-7 inches with HLLE disease. (getting better with vitamins) one Yellow tang, (didn't make it due to HLLE) and 2 Perc clowns.

In the last few months I have made 900 gallons of fresh SW doing constant WC's. I needed to purchase a new Reef Octopus skimmer as the ETSS Reef Devil just kept burping large bubbles and killing the skim-mate.

Next one MH ballast took a crap. So I bought a cheap LED to tide me over.

Currently I am at 20ppm nitrates on the 55 Q tank and still VERY high on the 75. (I'll get to this topic later)

Now all that was to be expected under the circumstances. Now the very bad stuff. We are having a drought here in upstate NY and my well went dry. Barely enough water for showers and bathrooms/laundry/dishes. (life) This brought my WC's to a halt. So I purchased another RO membrane to half my waste water. Now at 150 GPD system. My pressure pump is in the mail to drop waste lower.

With all of this my 220 gallon tank purchase is on hold. Mike at Oceans By Design and I have come up with a great build, but on hold. If I can't take care of a 55 and 75, how can I do a 220? It's all about.....WATER! lol.

If anyone is interested, I will post pics of tank design.

So, that is my update. Been super busy with this so I have not had much time to pay attention to the forum. I will try harder.
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information