AirWaterIce <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flow design for my 240

Hermit Crab

I run a CL on my 310 cube-ish sized tank. It is powered by a Hammerhead that runs thru an OceansMotions. You can not see a powerhead or outlet pipe in my tank. I also rum 2, 1'' SeaSwirls off a Dart hybrid pump. The tank is 30'' tall and not a dead spot in it.
    Turn over rate in your tank compared to your skimmer GPH is a non issue many do it one way and the other many do it the other way, and both produce amazing tanks.
    Your skimmer looks great. As for the bubble plate???? Turbulence in a skimmer is not a bad thing. You want to keep the bubbles in the reaction chamber as long as you can. It is all about contact time. Big Companies added them (bubble plates) as the "New and Improved" gimic. If any thing I would place the bubble plate below the injection level to keep the bubbles from escaping .

Copepod

Thx for your reply.
    Yea, I removed some of the piping I had inside the skimmer but mocked it back up for a B4 picture. The injector pipe used to go into PVC which routed to the reaction chamber in a swirl type setup. I ran a Mag Drive 18 for it. It created too much turbulence and not enough bubbles creating very wet skimmate. I am switching to an Iwaki 55RLT pressure pump for the beckett head to work more efficiently and increasing the reaction tube to 36 inches from the 16 pictured. Using the bubble plate with a 4 inch short tube in the bottom box to just above the top of box. So directing it into chamber and letting the turbulence calm a little. Also acting as a baffle to keep the outflow bubble free.

Do you think it will fit under my stand? LMAO...kidding.
    Tom
    Syracuse NY------ 240 in progress

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by Therapy1 View Post
    Thx for your reply.
    Yea, I removed some of the piping I had inside the skimmer but mocked it back up for a B4 picture. The injector pipe used to go into PVC which routed to the reaction chamber in a swirl type setup. I ran a Mag Drive 18 for it. It created too much turbulence and not enough bubbles creating very wet skimmate. I am switching to an Iwaki 55RLT pressure pump for the beckett head to work more efficiently and increasing the reaction tube to 36 inches from the 16 pictured. Using the bubble plate with a 4 inch short tube in the bottom box to just above the top of box. So directing it into chamber and letting the turbulence calm a little. Also acting as a baffle to keep the outflow bubble free.

Do you think it will fit under my stand? LMAO...kidding.
    Sounds like you have done your homework on the skimmer department. LOL
    I just got done researching skimmers myself. I ended up with a 60'' venturi with a Blue Line 100 HD pump. What a monster.Doesnt matter if it fits under your stand. My last skimmer had the stand built around it. literately.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45884&d=1442201855

well that didnt work
    Check out 310 Tonga in the 300gal plus thread

Copepod

Thank you Pepcrylic. Yes I am somewhat obsessed with skimmer design. I actually plan on this in the basement sump with the 240 tank upstairs. Height means nothing, that's why finished height will be near 5 foot.

Very nice tank setup you have there. Keep me informed of your tanks life. Will look for it.
    Tom
    Syracuse NY------ 240 in progress

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information