Clear Fabrications <----> Marine Depot
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello From WA state!

New Forum member!

Hello From WA state!

Hi All!

My name is Nicole and I'm starting out with my first saltwater tank. My dad has had reef tanks set up for the last 8 years and I have been an active participant in the hobby with him however never on my own. Ive been working on getting my tank set up and ready for sand and live rock this weekend. Very soon I will be totally on my own and won't have my dad to give me instruction and help me out so as a newbie I may ask some really dumb questions, I apologize in advance. I have a 36 gallon tank, fluval 205 and an octopus skimmer. I'm hoping to bring my dads 2 clown fish (8 yrs old) and 6 yr old Anthias up to my tank in the next month. I'm totally open to advice from more experience people, my dad is super old school so I'm hoping to learn the newer best ways to do things!

Thanks,
    Nicole

Chimp in Space......
    Welcome!

Looking forward to watching your progress.
    david

Current tank(s): Oceanic 58 with a 29g sump, Eheim 9g nano

Owner / Administrator
    Welcome Nicole,

I would use the fluval 205 only to polish off the tank but not run it full time, also I'd keep it cleaned very often when using it. I guess it all depends on what you have to work with that would determine how much I'd use that. Tell us about what you have, rocks, etc, sump & what your doing right now to get it going. No dumb questions here, this is what we do, help others get things started, figure out problems etc, so please post away, ask questions don't be shy we'll help!!

Copepod
    Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

Are you going FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or are you thinking about adding corals?

~V

New Forum member!

Right now I've just got sand in the tank since I'm waiting for my fiji rock to arrive this thursday. I have a couple small pumps just for water flow, the fluval 205, reef octopus skimmer that I thought had a sump, and overhead Led lighting. Over the weekend I added my salt to the dechlorinated water and have it currently at 1.022 however I need to read up on whats the best salinity for corals and fish, i just did what the bucket of salt said.

New Forum member!

Absolutely adding corals, My dad has a couple varieties of xenia, rose bubble tip anemones, and a few others that I don't know the names of that are in quarantine waiting for my tank to be ready right now! I'm very excited to begin growing different colonies. When we started this 8 years ago, my dad was all about the fish, but my mom, newborn daughter and I would go all over the place looking for corals. I want a small reef

Sea Urchin
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Copepod

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!! Are you planning to add more fish to your tank?
    Your dad has done really good job on keeping those fish but since the fish are old,it would be best to add fish that are docile and not aggressive at all.
    Good luck !!

-MJ

New Forum member!

I don't really know the life expectancy for clown fish and anthias, these are the last of my dads fish and since he can no longer care for his tank my goal is to care for the fish for however long they live and continue to build my reef and add fish along the way. I definitely know that I don't want aggressive fish because I want to have a reef and don't want fish that will eat my corals. While I'm learning I think I will focus on building my corals, however I do know that Anthias like to live in groups and up until recently he had 3 anthias. Should I get 2 more Anthias in order to keep the old one happy?

New Forum member!

Took me a minute to figure out that he has a Randall's Anthia, and my tank is going to be too small for him. I'm thinking it won't be good to bring him to my tank, moving will be stressful however but to also put him into a tank thats only 36 gal when he has been in a 120g would also be added stress. Can you guys give me any ideas what to do with him?

Butterflyfish
    +1 i was gonna say
    But u figured it out on ur own. Anthias are a deep water fish that swim constantly eating zooplankton and small organisms contanstly out of the water.
    Trade for maybe another small or couple small fish.
    D
    -299g display.

Butterflyfish
    Coral reef tanks ur gonna want a bit higher salinity than a fish only.
    Fish only can be 1.018-1.021
    Reef tank u want to be at around 1.024-1.026
    Refractometer and sumps are the way to go.
    Hths
    D
    -299g display.

New Forum member!

That explains a lot, I went to my dads last night to take care of the tank and the salinity was over 1.028. Its only been 3 days since he last added water, so when I added his bucket of declorinated water it went down to 1.024. I was worried it was still too high but now I understand it needed to be there. Thanks for clearing that up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Butterflyfish
    Eventually you will want to get a water filter. Ro di units. Reverse osmosis de ionized. You will get low almost if not most of the time 0tds. Total disolved solids.
    Purest water on earth probably lol.
    Anyways. Its good ur de chlorinated the water. With airating it 24hrs u can do the same.
    Your more worried about the silicates building up over time by using tap.
    D

Edit: by not ny lol
    -299g display.

New Forum member!

My Dad has a 5 gal bucket always with the aerator so i set up the same thing. Do you have a brand recommendation for the Ro di units? I don't know that my dad has anything like that so I would like to do some research

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information