Premium Aquatics <----> Sierra Fish & Pets

Thread: Corals having problems in tank

Copepod

Corals having problems in tank

So in between last weekend and this weekend my tank has done a 180 on me. The coral in the tank look and are for sure having problems. It seems to be centered on monti and hammer coral right now and a couple other small polyp coral but not every one. I've tested the water and all the levels are good and nothing is out of range or anything. I could do a water change but if the levels are fine I'm not sure what good hat will do honestly. At this point I'm not sure what to do or if it's just a freak thing going on in my tank that I can't help. Something's are healthy and some are on the brink of death.

Sea Urchin
    Could be a number of things. Could be lighting. Temp. Pests. Bacterial. Flow. To low nitrates, to high phosphates.
    What exact levels have you tested, numbers please.
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Copepod

The tanks been established for a little over a year and the lighting has been the same and the coral have done very good in the lighting. Temperature is goodnand so is the flow. I've tested nitrate and nitrite and both are zero, not sure if they should be higher or not based on you saying to low ? I've also tested the PH and one other I can't remember right now. Salinity is at .023 which isn't unusually low, not normal level but just barely under what I've been running it at since I've set it up. If it was a pest or bacteria you'd think it would affect all the coral not just a pick and choose of some. Especially ones that are alike.

RF Staff
    "All the levels are good" does nothing to help someone who would make the effort to trouble shoot with you. Numbers are important.
    Alk and calcium numbers ? When was your last water change? As things grow, they take up alk and calcium more quickly. What are you doing to maintain them?
    Water changes are rarely a bad thing...
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Sea Urchin
    So no on the ALK, CALC and MAG testing?
    LPS generally do best with slightly elevated nitrates.
    If you're running T5's definitely could be an lighting issue, old bulbs.

Seeing as you've supplied zero info on your tank, you've left us guessing what the issue may be. You stated levels are good yet haven't tested the 3 most important ones. A swing in any of these could cause issues.
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Thread Information