Premium Aquatics <----> BarrierReef
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best in sump skimmer?

New Forum member!

Best in sump skimmer?

what skimmer is the best for in sump usage?

always kidding
    needlewheel are great and beckets can be better. euroreef is easy and not too expensive but a becket can skim a little better.
    Brad (cool people only keep SPS)

75 gallon SPS, 250 XM 10k, ER, tunze stream, some corals, A couple of fish and some rocks.

tankless
    Like brad says there is more too it then saying this is the best skimmer ever. You have to decide how much power you want to use to run it. Skimmers like euroreef use less then 50w usually, and perform really well. A beckett skimmer however can really pull some gunk out of the system but you will need a pump that will use 200+w for peak performance! That will make a big difference in the long run on operating costs. So look at Euroreef, ASM, Deltec, Bubbleking, MRC, PM, and soon IAP all for great skimmers. If you spend less then $250 you will usually be sorry later because you will be spending more plus what you already spend, you will be wishing that you had ponied up in the first place. Most people make this mistake, and then pay for it later, with bad water quality and then a new skimmer.
    Tom

New Forum member!

im not looking for an extremly powerful skimmer, it is only for a 20 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump but i would like to keep maybe around 8 - 10 small fish not to sure about that thought.

Nurse Shark
    Remora or urchin for something like that. I have lots of prizms and wish I didnt. LOL My dumb but making mistakes for you, like Tom said
    75g. 20g sump and fuge DIY, quiet one 6000 return, 1" seaswirl, 2 tunze 6100 with two singletrollers, ebo jager heater, phosban reactor, asm g-3 skimmer, cpr overflow with aqualifter. 2x 250w icecaps with 20,000k bulbs. Lots of Fun!!

Dead tank. Killed by Tiffany D. with a tea glass aimed at me. She missed and hit the tank.
    Not so much fun!! LOL

"Village Idiot"
    Is there any reasons why you guy’s don’t consider AquaC’s EV series in-sump skimmers to be part of your lists?

Just curious because I’m really considering buying the EV-120 model in the near future.
    Rob

40gal - lps and softy reef Four 24" VHO (two 75 watt actinic white, two 75 watt super actinic) URI bulbs.
    Local made sump/siphon overflow and skimmer
    22yrs in the hobby and still learning!

New Forum member!

i went a looked up the aqua c urchin skimmer and read a review on the site and it says it out performes the berlin skimmer by red sea. any idea about how good turboflotor skimmers are?

New Forum member!

I think i might invest in a urchin pro it sounds pretty good. would it be good for a heavily stocked 20 gallon w/ 10 gallon sump

New Forum member!
    I love my Euro-Reef CS6-2+ on my 92g corner tank.
    Lonnie
    "The Squirrel Never Sleeps"
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

New Forum member!

Urchin Pro would be great. I'm using a regular Urchin on my newish tank of the same size, and its going to be way more than sufficient.

-Dylan

"Village Idiot"
    So am I left to think that the EV-120 isn’t a good investment?
    Rob

40gal - lps and softy reef Four 24" VHO (two 75 watt actinic white, two 75 watt super actinic) URI bulbs.

always kidding
    ev-120 is supposed to be OK but for the same money you can get a ASM G-2. As for the urchin pro. They are decent skimmers but you can slightly hear the injector. It would probably be $30 more for a ES-5-2 from ER and it is great for smaller tanks up to 75 gallons or so.
    Brad (cool people only keep SPS)

75 gallon SPS, 250 XM 10k, ER, tunze stream, some corals, A couple of fish and some rocks.

"Village Idiot"
    Thanks for your input, bradreef.
    I’m a little vague when it comes to skimmer models.
    Who makes the ASM G-2, and where could I go to get more info on it and possibly where to buy it?

I like the compact size of the EV-120 since I’m also planning to put my skimmer down in the sump, but I’m also trying to save as much room as possible for the refugium section that I also plan to incorporate into this sump. All this planning is for my current 40 gallon reef tank. I only have enough room in my stand for a 20 gallon high aquarium to be used for the sump/refugium, so space is limited.
    Rob

Nurse Shark
    asm G series skimmers on sale at www.vividaquariums.com a sponsor of this site. My next skimmer will be the G-2 as well. Steve
    75g. 20g sump and fuge DIY, quiet one 6000 return, 1" seaswirl, 2 tunze 6100 with two singletrollers, ebo jager heater, phosban reactor, asm g-3 skimmer, cpr overflow with aqualifter. 2x 250w icecaps with 20,000k bulbs. Lots of Fun!!

Dead tank. Killed by Tiffany D. with a tea glass aimed at me. She missed and hit the tank.
    Not so much fun!! LOL

New Forum member!

I've never heard anything bad about the AquaC Ev series. Doesn't mean they're the best choice, but they certainly seem to receive high reviews by their owners.

-Dylan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information