Tax return baby!
    We're suppose to get tax returns? Hummm

Amphipod
    i don't know what a tax return is, but the pumps look nice
    Peace,

Dan

Hidden Content

Brittle Starfish
    LoL guys, its what poor married people with kids get at the end of the year, lol
    You Know Me, Im JIDDY from Rapid City. Thats in S.Dakota, no its a state, by MN. The one with Mt.Rushmore! Hidden Content

Emerald Crab

Here's a 6 meg video from www.Melevsreef.com showing the pumps in action

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com...vortech_lg.wmv

Copepod

Need advice for undrilled 90g BB tank, side-by-side sump, same water level.
    Here are 2 versions: long (top) and short (bottom). Either will work.

Long:
    I place some pictures to illustrate current state of water flow and plumbing, can delete them later - as you say.
    Looks like a maze, sorry.

Now, plumbing is obscured:

Old photos, without corals:

Even older photos, with plumbing visible:

Principal drawings for a current state of plumbing:

Currently:
    1. The sump is fed by 1" U-tube, return - by 1/2" flexible tubing from Eheim 1250 pump, 317 gph. Starts at the back end of the basket, directed down and along back wall.
    Too strong flow for a my slow-moving and hiding fish (tassle filefish and antennata lion), created unusable spot in the tank.

2. Refugium bucket is fed by Maxi-Jet 600 PH, 160 gph, 1" flexible tubing passive return, to the front end of the bucket, 45 degree down along front glass. Tolerable, but preferably should be made lower.

3. Canister filter (I know, but current sump filtration is insufficient): Fluval 404, 300 gph, intolerable forceful flow, was added LifeGard CustomFlo, 2 spraybars and 1 jet. Top spraybar is directed 45o down, vertical - to the front. Jet - in the middle of the tank, to the left (in direction of the sump intake).

4. 2 Seio 620 powerheads, 600 gph each, soft flow, barely tolerable.
    Left back top is directed onto front glass, reflected in-between 2 main rock masses. The second, left side wall, almost bottom - just along front glass to wash out front of the stones (the back is covered by sump return pump), and move debris in direction of the sump intake.

Short version:

Anyway, even 2000 gph can't keep debris removed and a lot of space is excluded from use because of concentrated flow. Could be because micron sock receives only 317 gph.

2 questions:
    - How to rearrange and dissipate flow, so fish can use all the tank?
    - How to plan the flow and which plumbing will be needed for an improved filtration variant? Here it is:

Canister filter and PH are removed. Filtration through the micron sock(s) in the sump. 2 pumps - the weak one (300 or 650 gph, any of them) works all the time, the strong one - Sequence Dart, 3000 gph, will be on intermittently - 3 times daily for 15 min only. It raises the h***, but it expected to be removed by this flow. Here is tank, that uses this system.

Pitfalls:
    - undrilled tank
    - side sump
    - slow moving fish, concentrated flow is unacceptable for them
    - debris should be removed - contradiction to previous
    - I ordered Sequence Dart (external, not in-sump) and Ocean Runner 2500 (in-sump, at my knowledge; can replace current sump pump (Eheim, 300 gph) or be used for an intense flow instead of Dart).

Any ideas on making things better and some practical points will be greatly appreciated.

one larg lps
    hi sorry for the stupid questions if thier ia such a thing ...but is the balance to this pump the other side of the mbv going to the othe side not follwing ?
    5 yrs of fun?125 GAL. REEF .55 GAL SUMP.2 1500 SEIO ,mag 1800for return 2 maxi's for cl on RK1,PRIME CHILLER 1/10HP With mag9,ASM G-6 looking skimmer?,3 CLOWNS , 2 DAMSELS CONVIC 3 STRIPE, 4 CRABS, LOTTA SNAILS,leconce,blue hippo yellow tail ,gobey pair,CLeaner shrimp,dual 450 M.H. 2-2ft vho's-sump,6ft vho's up top,RK1 keeper,135LBS L.R.110 LBS L.S. And now after a seperation I restart with a 50 bow front !Hidden Content

Owner / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by vwmoneypit View Post
    hi sorry for the stupid questions if thier ia such a thing ...but is the balance to this pump the other side of the mbv going to the othe side not follwing ?
    Don't understand this question can you explain some please?

Sea Otter
    Months after this workshop ended a scientist came up with somewhat different ideas on flow backed by science relating to corals in an aquarium.

Here is a link where you can read more about it :

http://coralite.net/research.html

The idea simplified as I understand it is to get the hole tank water volume spinning in a clockwise direction then reverse it several times a day or hour. Defenitely NOT using devices that change directions randomly or so often that the tank cant get spinning ( Picture putting your hand in a 5 gallon bucket and stirring it up) it is all based on alot of data :-)

Read it for yourself. I wish i knew this a long time ago !!!

Paul

Pain In The Arse

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by plack View Post
    Months after this workshop ended a scientist came up with somewhat different ideas on flow backed by science relating to corals in an aquarium.

Here is a link where you can read more about it :

http://coralite.net/research.html

The idea simplified as I understand it is to get the hole tank water volume spinning in a clockwise direction then reverse it several times a day or hour. Defenitely NOT using devices that change directions randomly or so often that the tank cant get spinning ( Picture putting your hand in a 5 gallon bucket and stirring it up) it is all based on alot of data :-)

Read it for yourself. I wish i knew this a long time ago !!!

Paul

Yep I totally agree with the article's findings as well. While I am no scientist, I have noticed very positive results in my tank of having this type of flow instead.

2 MJ1200 stream mods on each end of the tank alternating every 6 hours or so is what I have going on in mine. Less electricity and no drilling nor plumbing required. The entire length of the tank's surface looks like a flushing toilet
    Carpe Narem Hidden Content

NOTHING

I'm gonna do that with the MJ mods kind different direction almost coliding in the front of the tank for a "boil" effect inthe tank along with the pump return from the sump!!!
    NO drilling just the overflows already there in the tank!!
    !!!!STOP LAUGHING AT ME MIKE!!!!

INSANITY= Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result....
    In Full support of
    Northsound reefers.
    Rouge Reefers.
    Hidden Content

Cleaner Shrimp

Talking 150 flow

just to share...this the flow i have setup in my new 150. what do ya guys think?

the top is a manifold with 8 3/4" locklines to adjust flow as the corals grow. it is ran by my return pump with plenty if flow, there is a visiable jet of water for 8" after each of the nozzel's, then the flow gets gentler.

the two lines that come down the sides and then follow the parimeter of the bottom of the tank is a closed loop with kind of a spaybar design just to get flow behind the rocks and to cut down on dead spaces.

then there are 4 shureflo maxi-jet upgrades each pushing 2000gph, that are gonig to be controlled by a redsea wave device (just got it and havn't pluged them in to it yet).

there are two overflow boxes in the back corners.

so what ya think. i'm going for an sps dom tank.
    Last edited by freetareef; 11-14-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    ahh...

Copepod

Good stuff. I am just now setting up an 85 gallon tank right now.

RF STAFF
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin archie View Post
    Good stuff. I am just now setting up an 85 gallon tank right now.
    Nice! Maybe you can start a thread in the member's showcase forum so we can follow your progress. The forum can be found in the link below. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...splay.php?f=70
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread Information