BarrierReef <----> AirWaterIce
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About ~Algae Control~

Achilles
    Morgan,

It sounds like you have a game-plan in operation there... and hopefully it will soon be showing you results! Please keep us posted (we are always nosie, when it comes to everyone's tank... don't ya know! *grinz*)!
    Ed

180gal tank, 90gal sump, 40gal Fuge, Iwaki WMD40RLXT recirc pump (via SQWD, to Oceans Motions Revolutions on each side), Hammerhead Closed Loop, ETSS 750 dual injector Skimmer (converted to Beckett Injectors), Japanese Iwaki MD40RLT pump for one Beckett, Velocity T-4 for other, 4-250watt MH, 2-XM 10K, 2-ReefOptic 20K, IceCap 660 w/2 46.5" Super Actinics & 1 46.5" Actinic White, 2-250watt Titanium Heaters, ORP Controller & Ozone, Pacific Coast CL-650 Chiller

commercial coral diver
    cheers man i guess its time for more pics lol

Clownfish

A month ago in Kauai, I had such a thick dense cloud of tangs pass over me that I actaully got dissoriented from things going dark. They were moving over the reefs picking every little scrap of algae growing on the reef. In more protected areas, there were definately macro-algaes growing. Many places of the reef that were very shallow <2ft had a nice fuzzy coating to them of some mossy sort of material.
    Back to the topic. This is one thing that most people do not address or even know about and it is (IMO) the biggest hole in the knowlege in this part of the hobby. There is plenty of information written about what we should do in a reef tank but very little information about a real reef which is after all what we are trying to imitate albeit woefully. We do not want algae growing on our corals because it will kill them and just look bad, but on a reef, if you ever go diving at night (which I have dozens of times) you will see a totaly different scene than when you dive in the day. Some areas will be totally covered in urchins that you don't see in the day. These urchins scrape the rock down to , well rock. The vast sea then takes the urchin poop and disolves it in unmeasurable amounts of water most of which is far too deep to grow algae. In the deeper regions the waste is removed (or converted) by bacteria. We cannot do the same thing in our tank. We don't have urchins covering every inch or an ocean to process waste. Algae is there because it is supposed to be there. It is part of any healthy reef. We need a way to let the algae grow out of our tank, not on our corals but if we try, or even attempt to eliminate all algae by "unnatural" means we may end up having reefs not as healthy as we think they are. There are ways to acomplish this.
    Have a great day.
    Paul

Cleaner Shrimp
    Hmm. Trained urchins? I know... latest DIY project: how to modify a Roomba for reef tank use! (:
    Kate

commercial coral diver
    so what are u saying paul b let hair algea grow?
    dose anyone scrape or brush aglae of rocks in a differnt rock

Clownfish

Morgan, I am saying let it grow in your water but outside your reef like in a lighted refugium or as I do in an algae trough. It is much easier than to fight with it. Of course I am not saying to let the thing go to hell or overfeed.
    You still need maintenance. You still have to remove the algae from wherever it is growing which will also remove the nutrients that the algae need to grow. I would not remove all the algae in a refugium at once, leave some so more can grow easier.
    Paul

Grouper
    i have some, ive scrubed, a little, i think im gonna up the snails, and wait, maybe a crab, thats an idea, the ms's loves the hermits tho, if she were to see one of them get a leg riped off. the crab would be going down the tolet

New Forum member!

I use coral sand from the great barrier reef.

Cleaner Shrimp

Marine Mollies

I was having some hair algae problem during my tank swap. I did some reading on mollies in reef tanks. Turns out that are an excellent algae eater. It has been two months and they are doing excellent. They are still cleaning algae off the glass and pumps. They don't seem to go near the corals though.

To acclimate them, put them on a saltwater drip in a 5 gallon bucket. Over a couple of hours, turn the freshwater to saltwater. Then they are ready to be reef fish. I purchased the pair out of a brackish tank, so the adjustment to saltwater would not be so severe. They are active live breeders. The fry can be raised in saltwater, as long as they are not eaten by corals and fish.

Reef Mollies:

Saltwater Sail-Fin Mollies
    By Carol E. Keen
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan, 7/14/99
    http://www.marinefiends.com/issues/1999/fnc0799.htm

Mollies (Poeciliidae)
    http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/mollies.htm

RF STAFF
    LOL...You did do it
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Grouper

this little thing has doubled in size now, what should i do?

IF i would have not touched it but now its way bigger then you see here

Great White Shark
    Its hard for me to see the shapes of the "leaves". Are they fern like? Is the algae wirey or soft? Could you siphon it out with a water change?
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

New Forum member!

I think it is gorgeous!

I really agree with Paul: We can eaither spend a lot of energy, time and money fighting algae or we can utilize it to the benefit of our reef. Here's my reef's refugium:

http://www.swplantedtank.com

I've found I can grow algae elsewhere in my system, and my reef stays nuisance algae free.

Grouper
    update,

i pulled the rock out cleaned it in a bucket with brush and ro water. it stayed away for about 2 weeks but it is comeing back.

hold on

i pulled it, it came back twice as big, then i cleaned in the bucket, and now there a bush on the powerhead, but the good part is this.

im gonna leave the bush in the new spot cause its less visable, and i figer if the new bush is takeing the stuff outta the water over there, the old one (pic up there) will not be able to thrive as well,

i think i f ed that all up

Seahorse
    I never did a fuge until i got my new tank and i must say it works like a champ at keeping bad algae down.
    210 Shark/Reef
    Hidden Content
    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information