Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 172425262728 LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 406

Thread: Let's Talk About ~Algae Control~

  1. #391
    saltygurl

    str8juizy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, that is what I read, it takes care of bryopsis. I really should get my algae checked by someone to see what it is really. I know bryopsis is supposed to look like ferns up close but mine does not. I also know bryopsis can grow in mats which mine does. Anyways. I will pull a bit and bring it with me to Barrier when I go there tomorow to get some more RODI. My bulbs are about 4 months old. I plan on getting new ones in 2 months. For the guy who asked about Lawnmower blenny eating hair algae, that was the first thing I got and he will not eat it at all. honestly the ONLY thing that seems to eat it at all is my turbo snails and even they are picky and slow. I did start placing some clam shells over patches and securing them down to see if by covering them it will die. I think I read somewhere someone doing that...

  2. #392
    Hermit Crab
    dexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    lynnwood
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    0
    I had algae on coral that killed it. Bummer.
    Hello, my name is Brendon and I am paralyzed from the shoulders down. I'm running a saltwater fish tank without arms or legs.

    Go check out the thread I started.

    Hidden Content

  3. #393
    New Forum member!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    As far as i concern,this is good question.Of course,it is my view.

  4. #394
    New Forum member!
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, mo
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Being new to saltwater, I read a lot. I had a big cyano problem until I started making 5gal water changes in a 30 gal tank once a week. I also changed my lighting to 3x4 hour periods and added a hang-on-back refugium with Chato which also has 4x3hour periods of lights. I added live rock and live sand. So far it seems to work. The live rock is amazing. The critters that crawl out at night are fascinating.
    Last edited by don2048; 01-30-2013 at 12:53 AM.

  5. #395
    Amphipod

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Everett
    Age
    35
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    0
    What is the long stringy red algae?

  6. #396
    New Forum member!
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, mo
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    It's called cyanobacteria. It's an indication of excess nitrates and /or phosphates as I've read. My turbo snails actually ate it when it appeared. It's in decline in my tank now that I do regular water changes among other things.

  7. #397
    Hermit Crab
    #1Reefkeepr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Puyallup
    Age
    31
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    0
    RO/DI 100% all the time for top off/an routine changes
    Scheduled Water changes and Maintenance on equiptment
    Thaw out all frozen food in RO/DI water so those excess nutrients doesn't get into your system
    Dont over feed
    Stir sand don't Vacuum (reef system or if u want a live sand bed)
    When doing water changes Scrape any unwanted Algae while siphoning so that the algae does not spread throughout your system
    Hope all that helps!!! Good luck and keep on reefing

  8. #398
    New Forum member!
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, mo
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    don2048

    Quote Originally Posted by #1Reefkeepr View Post
    RO/DI 100% all the time for top off/an routine changes
    Scheduled Water changes and Maintenance on equiptment
    Thaw out all frozen food in RO/DI water so those excess nutrients doesn't get into your system
    Dont over feed
    Stir sand don't Vacuum (reef system or if u want a live sand bed)
    When doing water changes Scrape any unwanted Algae while siphoning so that the algae does not spread throughout your system
    Hope all that helps!!! Good luck and keep on reefing
    Thanks, The cyano is in decline, I'm starting to see pink and green coraline algae on my live rock and glass. I don't have a RO filter yet. And yes, it can be an expensive hobby. I'm going to try to make a trap to capture the bristle worms and move them to the refugium. Lots of tiny shrimp and small brittle stars staring to appear. Just found an Aiptasia on one of the LR, I removed to rock and killed it with vinegar. I also broke the small piece of rock it was attached to off and discarded it. So far it is still facinating.

  9. #399
    Hermit Crab
    #1Reefkeepr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Puyallup
    Age
    31
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by don2048 View Post
    Thanks, The cyano is in decline, I'm starting to see pink and green coraline algae on my live rock and glass. I don't have a RO filter yet. And yes, it can be an expensive hobby. I'm going to try to make a trap to capture the bristle worms and move them to the refugium. Lots of tiny shrimp and small brittle stars staring to appear. Just found an Aiptasia on one of the LR, I removed to rock and killed it with vinegar. I also broke the small piece of rock it was attached to off and discarded it. So far it is still facinating.
    Nice!!! Good stuff on removing the rock an not trying to pull it out in your system because that's a big no go!! Keep doin wat your doing because it sounds like your system is thriving!!! Water peramters if possible???

  10. #400
    Hermit Crab
    #1Reefkeepr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Puyallup
    Age
    31
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Reefkeepr View Post
    Nice!!! Good stuff on removing the rock an not trying to pull it out in your system because that's a big no go!! Keep doin wat your doing because it sounds like your system is thriving!!! Water peramters if possible???
    And also keep an eye out for your calcium levels because the "Purple and pink algae" (IMO The best Natural 3D backround of your tank)is goin to use Calcium!!

  11. #401
    New Forum member!
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, mo
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Temp-78f, PH 8.2, Amon-0.0, Nitrite-0.0, Nitrite-5-10ppm, salinity 1.023. I add Instant Oceans's "Reef Accelerator" which helps the coraline. I still sit and watch the tank quite a bit. Wish I had know beforehand that the Yellow-tail Damsel digs in the substrate. It only does it in one part of the tank but I feel it's screwing with the live sand in that area.

  12. #402
    Wrasse
    Peppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    bonney lake wa
    Posts
    3,472
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by don2048 View Post
    Temp-78f, PH 8.2, Amon-0.0, Nitrite-0.0, Nitrite-5-10ppm, salinity 1.023. I add Instant Oceans's "Reef Accelerator" which helps the coraline. I still sit and watch the tank quite a bit. Wish I had know beforehand that the Yellow-tail Damsel digs in the substrate. It only does it in one part of the tank but I feel it's screwing with the live sand in that area.
    Your Damsel will not hurt your sandbed.
    Looks like your salinity is a bit low. Would be better at 1.024 to 1.026
    Most people like to have the bristle worms in their tank. They wont bother anything unless they are of a monstrous size.
    IMO a RO/DI filter is one of the most important pieces of equipment for a successful saltwater tank.

    HTH
    You cant possibly know how you want to run your reef-system, until you have ran one.
    Current Tank
    Hidden Content

  13. #403
    It's only money, RIGHT?
    blk822822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Black Diamond,Wa.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    815
    Rep Power
    48
    With some snails and hermits I have found that they won't eat the really bushy or long algae. So I pluck it off the rocks and then they will eat the small ends left on the rock. I have also found Mexican red leg hermits the best for algae problems and they are pretty cheap.
    Hi my name is Bill and I'm a reef addict.......

    Hidden Content

  14. #404
    Copepod

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Richland
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    What is that best way to keep my general algae growth down? It seems like I'm cleaning my glass every day.

  15. #405
    Emerald Crab

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    0
    This that I just posted might help:
    http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads...utrient-Export

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 172425262728 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •