Quantcast

10k xm or 200k xm bulb???

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
See this thread, there are one or two replies so far.... It's not about the XM bulbs, but they are mentioned by a couple of people who have them.

http://www.thepsas.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=889

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I have now been using my 250watt DE XM 20000K bulb for a few days, and here are my initial observations. It is too early to tell whether I will be satisfied in the long run.

It is *extremely* blue, but looks quite a bit dimmer than the Aqualine 10000K bulb I was using previously. The coral and clam colors look pretty fantastic and flouresce nicely, though everything else is pretty muted.

I will post more info as I get it.

SueT

I just got in my new 250w 10k XM's last week. Being an iwasaki user all my reefing life I can say I love these bulbs. I never thought I'd use anything else but finally I decided to try the XM's and I can say even though they have yet to truly burn in, I'm very happy.

I'm using 3 over my 180g sps/clam tank.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Sue great to see you on the board, and a big welcome for sure. Do me a favor and tell me how they react with your coral colorations as time goes by. Not that I have heard anything I am just wondering.

thanks

Mike

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Well, I've been running my 20K XM for about a week now, and have a few more thoughts.

It is noticeably dimmer than the AB 10K I was running, but I expected this.

Most of the soft corals that I have which used to flouresce under actinic are now *much* more obviously colored, and the blue and strawberry mushrooms that I have are very different than before. The few SPS I have are coloring up quite nicely. My hynophora is practically glowing.

The squamosa that I have has started changing colors. I am probably most surprised by this. The beautiful gold colors are turning gold/green, and the green around the edge of the mantle is turning a much more vivid blue/green.

These color changes I've mentioned appear even when the tank is lit with a 10K powercompact bulb, which tells me that it is not simply due to seeing them under a much bluer light.

The light is not as obviously blue as it was before. I think that the light is becoming slightly whiter, although I am not absolutely sure.

It's still too early for me to say with certainty whether I prefer it to my AB 10K, but I do like it so far.

SueT

Hi Mike and thanks for the welcome.

I have heard on good advise that the XM's only get better. This being Jim Norris who is a huge fan of the XM brand halides. His reef speaks for itself. www.tanku.net

reedman

Mine took a little to burn in and become reliable starters (at first it was hit or miss whether they would fire or not), but now I love them. They look very bright, even compared to the 10K AB bulbs and are a crisp white with a little blue. Very nice color.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
SueT said:
Jim Norris who is a huge fan of the XM brand
He does, indeed, have a very nice reef. I noticed on his website that he got his lights from HelloLights. On their website HelloLights keep calling them XDE rather than XM. Are they in fact the same?

I have actually been wondering this for some time.

[Edited] I just answered my own question [grin]. If you click on the logo it does in fact say "XM Metal Halide". Feeling sheepish. I guess XDE means something like XM Double Ended.

Last edited:

SueT

j.stagner, you sure had me going there.... LOL.. I didn't know what to say.

reedman, wow, I didn't know about the problem with them starting. I have not had 1 not fire immediately after timers kick em on. Since this is the only 10k bulb I've used I have nothing to compare them to. I really do like them though. Today is the first day I've noticed the true bright white color coming through.

This is the study that someone gave me when I was still in "can't make my mind up yet" mode.http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm
This is Joe Burger's light study. JB NY

MtnDewMan

Maybe I will have to try the XM bulb when it is time to make a change. Sounds like if Sue can get switched from those Iwasaki's, they have to be good :D

Reed, do you have a pulse start ballast or a non-pulse start ballast. Pulse start should fire them up no problem all the time.

reedman

I have one pulse start and one icecap e-ballast. It's the icecap ballast that sometimes fires and sometimes not. Hellolights said that it should fire on either of these. Looks great when lit :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Wellmy darn Tang blew another bulb last night. Fricken thing thinks it a whale doing a tail smack. Anyway I think I am going to give the 10xm a shot.

Mike

kevinpo

Expert
I've been running a PFO 13,000K 400W driven by a PFO pulse start ballast for about 6 months. It is less blue than a Radium 20,000K. It is much less intense than a Ushio 10,000K on a HQI ballast. The color is too blue for me by itself but looks about right with a couple of 110W actinic/white VHO's. Coral growth and coloration are good but the tank is only 16" deep to the top of the sand.

Regards,
Kevin

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I spliced a PFO dual 250watt HQI ballast to two reef optix III's and I am going to run two DE XM 10KKs so I will let you all know how it turns out. I am supplimenting with two 110watt VHO Super Acentic R's as well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.