Quantcast

120 gallon overflow ??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

zeltar

Proud new papa....
Now on to the overflow drain size. I had planned on having dual 1" drains with 1.25" durso standpipes. I was just on his site and he mentions that having two in one overflow CAN be tricky to setup. If both are not exactly the same size they can fight each other for flow. That being said should I opt for a single 1.5" or 2" drain instead? My overflow is 6"x10" and I dont/wont have much room as I also want to run my return through the bottom of the overflow, though this is not set in stone.

Which will give me more flow to the sump:
dual 1"
single 1.5"
single 2"

I would run a durso on all of these.

My return pump for today anyways will be an Iwaki 40rxlt.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Eric,
if I remember you have an overflow that does not go all the way down the tank and exits out the back. I wouldn't think you would have a problem with the dual dursos if they are spaced far enough apart. I havent heard of someone having this problem. Where did you hear this from? I am having IAP build one for me with dual dursos.

Erwin

bc_slc

well you can figure out comparible diameter with a little math.

1" drain will give you: 3.14x.5^2 = .785 in2
x2 = 1.57 in2

1.5" drain will give you: 3.14x.75^2 = 1.766 in2

2" drain will give you: 3.14 in2

so basically, two 1" are almost the same as one 1.5"

That being said, your overflow is about 22 linear inches (if it is a center, 3 sided overflow) and so can handle a max of about 1450 gph. The recommended total internal diameter of your piping would be 1.5" assuming a single 1.5 drain. As calculated above, that is a bit better than the dual 1" drains. I would go with dual 1.5" drains if I were you, then you don't need to oversize the durso's...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.