Quantcast

150gal in the works!!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

The R/C Man

Well, before x-mas I bought a used 150gal from RedEyeReef. I figured some of you might be interested in how this project is progressing. The first pic is the tank of when I first brought it home. Lots of coraline algae that needed to be removed........

The R/C Man

Here is what lots of elbow greese can do...... Lots of scrapping and buffing....And some drilling.....
The top 2 holes are for the overflow boxes and are 1 1/2".
The 2, 1 1/2" holes in the middle are for the close loop supply and the four 3/4" holes are the returns for the CL....

Scooterman

Administrator
WOW that did take lots of work, came out very clean. Did it have any scratches, if so did you remove them and did it come out good as new? Just wondering!:D

The R/C Man

Ok last one for now... This is the sump/fuge design that is currently in work. This is also being built by Barr Aquatic Systems. Brent does excellent work!

Last edited:

The R/C Man

Scooterman,

Actually yes. I had to fill the tank and let it sit to soften the coraline. Even after soaking for a few days some had to be removed with a razorblade. Hours spent scraping. Talk about thumb cramps.... :) The polishing also took a while. Maybe a total of 16hrs over a few days.

Mushroom Boy,

Thanks! Well money is an issue for this project. I would like to have the tank running minus the skimmer and lighting by May. I will use a 48" shop light to get the coraline going while the tank cycles. I hope to the get skimmer by June and by August have the lighting. During this time I will build the canopy....

Last edited:

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Pretty cool design

Where did you get the program to draw your sump design!! Pretty cool.

Salsaking

The R/C Man

Hey Kevin!

Thanks! It will be stocked with your corals soon... :D

Salsaking,

Thanks!
I just used microsoft paint. Started with a basic design and just kept working with it....

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey nice to meet ya Greg,
I am just about ready to drill my 150 sps tank. I have a center overflow. 60x24x24........ What size pump are ya using for your closed loop? Your doing a fine job. :)
Scott

The R/C Man

Hey Scott!

I am planning on using a sequence 750. I believe its 2400gph at 0' and 1800gph @4'. It will be returning through two SQWD's. The idea is to get rid of powerheads and keep the SPS's happy... :D

Katchupoy

R/C MAN, MICROSOFT PAINT!!!!.....

You are good. No!, infact very very good. Imagine you can do that just using Microsoft Paint, I'll bet you can do better with other more powerful software.....

I'love it.

You're the man....

The R/C Man

Cesar,

Wow! I don't even know how to respond to that kind of praise. It makes me feel like the ruler of a small country or something.... I better get down from this pedistal before I hurt myself. LOL

Ok back to reality.... Thanks dude! You know when you are doing something you like to do you just put more effort into it.....

Solov

Ez reefer
Very nice job! And a lot of patience (I'm still stunned by MS Paint picture, no wonder you did so well on removing algae ;) ).

Keep pictures coming! :)

The R/C Man

Thanks!

I just wish I had the cash to get the whole project done sooner. I guess lack of money to get it done forces the patience... LOL

Montanarocknreefer

New Sheriff In Town
Wow Greg! What a beautiful reef tank you will have when all is said and done! Excellent drawing and I have the paint program and didn't know you could do that!

I am waiting on a cube tank in about 5-6 weeks and the excitement of a new journey with a new set up can be so much fun and rewarding. Thanks for sharing!:)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.