Quantcast

2 new fish, would like id

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

big t

tankless
Hey guys, I picked up 2 new fish yesterday, a fox face rabbitfish and a grey tang. I acclimitized them in a 5 gallon bucket and the fox face took a little chunk out of the little tang's upper fin, but otherwise it went rather well. i put them in the tank, and left the lights out for last night. Today the lights came on and they are a bit shy, but otherwise have been doing pretty good. My six line is a little unhappy about the two new tank mates, but i am sure that it will be fine. The two fish are great and the tang especially is a voracious algea eater. I had a yellow tang that used to nip on the rocks occassionally, but this tang just goes to town all the time! I finally have something to eat the brown furry algea that has been plagueing me for 6 months.

Well I am not sure what kind of tang it is, it was a light grey in the shop w/ a little yellow in the top fin. In my tank w/ halides it is a dark grey and you can still see the yellow in the fin a little. Anyone know what kind it is? I know that it is in the Acanthurus family but which one?

big t

tankless
Here is the fox face, I think that it is a pretty nice specamin. It has also been nipping on the rocks so hopefully it will help me out some

fishermann

If I'm not mistaken your tang is a brown tang [sopas tang], [Zebrasoma scopas], they are a bit territorial, so once he is established you probably won't be able to add anymore fish if they are of any size other then very small. Need to feed him veggies like say a clip of Nori and some meaty food and keep them both fed or they may nip at things if not fed. I have a fox face and he eats algae better then any tang i ever had.

big t

tankless
Well it is definately not a scopas tang, I am confident that it is a member of the Acanthurus family which is the same as the powder blue, and powder tangs, here is the best pic I could find online of the scopas

Witfull

agreed, definately not Scopas. i was searching wetwebmedia for the tang, but cant seem to find it,,,i remember seing it in a store once,,i think it was called a morovian tang or a monrovian....not sure right now.

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Tom, in my opinion, this is another one of the mimic tangs. There are so many color variations in this species, so while they are the considered the same "species", there are variants in colors.

So you would have an Acanthurus pyroferus in the gray mimic form.

You can have a look here, and go midway to where it says the species name, and take a look at the third image. Just like yours.

Acanthurus.

Nice additions to your tank!

- Elmo :)

Elmo18

Clownfish
That is definitely not a scopas tang, and not an Acanthurus monroviae, as it is missing the nice bright orange spot right before the tail.

Here are a couple pics of monroviae:

Acanthurus monroviae

I will stick to my guess, as an Acanthurus pyroferus .

- Elmo

Elmo18

Clownfish
An adult Atlantic blue tang , Acanthurus coeruleus will have a white dash right before the caudal fin, or tail fin. Here is an adult one, which is light blue in color, where as the juveniles are yellow in color.

Photo of adult Atlantic blue tang

I do not think it is a blue tang.

- Elmo

Witfull

you are correct elmo, plus A. monrovia has a pointed dorsal and this fish is rounded. its late and im just a bit braindead...long day in prison.

The Apprentice

Big T i am surely no expert so i went to my Dr.Burgess's atlas of marine fishes and your picture very closly resembles a Acanthurus bahianus located on page 582 i looked on the web for picture and couldn't find any but i found a common name called the Ocean surgeon located from Florida to in Belize but m=this picture shows a mature fish were yours is a little bird so good luck I might have at least got close..Jeff

The Apprentice

Very nice picture Elmo! In Dr Burgess's atlas of marine fishes it says that this tang can grow up to 30 cm in lenght and needs a 300 liter (85 gallon) tank size. On the peacefull scale for tang's.
Big T please keep us posted on picture and if you find out something diffrent looks very nice right now got to love them tangs...Jeff

big t

tankless
Acanthurus bahianus, I the you may be right Jeff. I will try to get some more pictures here soon. It is a bit on the shy side, so it takes a while to get a photo. I tell you guys what tho, this is one seriously hard working fish. He attacks the rocks like a little jackhammer!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.