Quantcast

250W 20000k Radium Experiment - Again

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MtnDewMan

Okay, so I am trying out the Radium again ... I didn't leave it on very long a while back, so am trying it out now that my tank is really basically starting over. So what better time than now? Here are some pictures so far. The left side has a 250W 20000k Radium and the right side has a 250W 10000k AB bulb.

Full tank ... see the bluer coloration on the left than the right (note that the bulb is not truly burned in yet, only been running about 8 hours total so far).

Here is the left side with the 20000k bulb ....

And the right side with the 10000k AB bulb ... you can see some of the blue on the left part of the picture.

And an isometric view from right (10000k) to left (20000k) ...

big t

tankless
I like both personally, I think that the radiums look better for taking pictures, but I think that in real life that the 10k's give the corals a nicer color. Either way, is fine with me. I think that coral's might grow better under the 10k's.

Tom

Alice

I like the blue :) It will be interesting to see how the corals fair, one side vs. the other.

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
That looks great, I like the 20000K's because they look a little softer and bluer.
Do you still need actinic supplementation with the 20's like you do with the 10's? This would be convenient in my opinion, other than not being able to mimic the rising and setting of the sun.

Is big T right about the corals growing better under the 10000K's vs the 20's?

Eliyah

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
It will be interesting to see some semi-long term results. I know with my tank running a 10k vs 12k the corals actually grew towards the light they liked more (the 10k.)

The blue seems to wash out the color some, but that could just be the camera's interpretation of it. How do the corals look to the eye to you under the 20k?

MtnDewMan

I am liking the Radiums so far. Definately not the "Bright" appearance as the 10000k side, but also not too dull either. I am wanting to see what colorations the 20000k bulbs bring out. Right now they are definately flourescing better under the Radiums than under the 10000ks. I too have heard that the coral will grow better under 10000k bulbs, so will see how that works out too. I am thinking I will get another bulb to put on the right hand side to get the full effects of the Radiums.

Mushroom Boy

Good experiment :). I like the looks of the 20k as well. I'd like to see it in person, though, before giving my final answer :D.

MtnDewMan

This is a true Radium ... no testing except for mine :) It has about 14 hours of life spent on the bulb right now ...

Paul, anytime you want to come up is fine by me.

reedman

Not sure if I like the radium or not. I still like the look of that 10K on your tank, but I think I'm like Paul...I'd have to see it in person. I know the colors seem to come out more in the blues & greens with the 20K bulbs. Keep us posted. I'm getting ready to change mine out soon. Nothing like having someone else be the guinney pig :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Neat I didnt know they made them. I do like the look of al all radium bulb tank, but I found the coral didnt like it as much.

Mike

Grouperdog

I like the look of the bluer bulbs and the Radium has some of the highest par in that group but as you know it still is quite a bit less then your AB13k. It will be interesting to see how coral growth and color over the next few months is compared to the higher par AB bulb.

MtnDewMan

I like the looks of the blue, of course I don't want coral to stop growing or losing color. I am again getting convinced I am washing out coral with the HQI ballast and the 10000k. If I go with 10000k, then I think a standard Pulse Start ballast is probably the way to go on a tank my size. But I think I may give the radiums a chance first.

saltwater-nut

It's funny that you should do this.

I had a XM 20k come in yesterday. I thought I would throw it on the left side of my tank to see a comparison.

I feel there's pros and cons.

Overall I like the look of the 20k. The greens glow more. The tank is softer on the eyes.
The blues are somewhat washed-out.

THe XM 10k side is alot brighter. Greens are not nearly as glowing. However, the blues do glow much better.

I dont think I'll leave it like this as I like my tank to be symmetrical.

The 20k was a replacement for a defective 10k that turned yellow after 6 weeks.

I now have to decide which to order. Another 10k or 20k.

It's tough out there!

Roy

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yea Roy its a tough choice. I also love the look of the radiums, but when I went exclusive the growth slowed down alot, and the reds and pinks turned purple. I mixed in some 10ks Ushio with the 20k and got the best of both worlds. It is tough to though if you only have two bulbs over the tank.
Has thier been any testing done on the xm bulbs yet???

MIke

Grouperdog

Since we are starting to talk about other 250 MH this seems to be a good time to mention a site that has some of the best and most current info on 250 watt SE MH bulbs and ballasts that I have seen. I am sure most of you have seen this already but there still might be someone who has not and XM bulbs are included in the testing.

The site is located at www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm and another thanks to JBNY for all his hard work he put in on this site.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
esmith said:
Do you still need actinic supplementation with the 20's like you do with the 10's?
I would like to put here a relevant excerpt from Steve Tyree in his article Stony Coral Pigments, Algae Pigments and Captive Lighting. I wish I could paste a link here, but I frequently save such articles to my local machine just in case the source link becomes broken, and I no longer remember where I got it.

[edited] Found the link : Original article

It seems to indicate that actinic supplementation would be beneficial, I think that's what he means by "a boost from the violet end of the spectrum", though I am not entirely sure.

The Radium/Osram 20,000 K and Sunburst 12,000 K are both classified as Super Blue bulbs. Super Blue bulbs emit the vast majority of their light within wavelengths from 440 to 460 nm (high energy blue). They also emit small amounts of violet and green light. The narrow emission of this bulb happens to be located within an area of the spectrum where chlorophyll_a, chlorophyll_c2 and the peridinin pigments can absorb and utilize the light. The vast majority of the emitted light energy from the Super Blue bulbs is photosynthetically useable by the algae. These bulbs can actually benefit from a boost within the violet area of the spectrum. Most aquarists however will be adding daylight fluorescents to counter the very blue visual appearance of the bulbs. These bulbs will intensely stimulate the blue, green and yellow fluorescing pocilloporin pigments. Red fluorescing pocilloporin will be moderately to strongly stimulated. Super Blue bulbs only provide a weak amount of light that can be absorbed by the pink pocilloporin pigment. The 400 watt version of the Osram/Radium and the 250 watt version of the Sunburst lamps are both useable for shallow water stony corals.

saltwater-nut

I've been running the XM 250w 20K bulbs on one of my tanks for about a month now. I am very pleased with the results.

Most peeps think that their corals only look better when their under the 20k's.

I recently pulled out one of my torts to reglue it to the plug. Out from under the 20K's it still had the pink/lavender look.

About growth. Again, this particular Tort has sprouted 6 new branches in two weeks. Not only sprouted, but all six have grown at least 3/8"!

If this keeps up I'll be getting 1" of growth a month on my Torts. Right about the same amount as my 10k's were giving me.

Dont get me wrong, I still have three tanks with XM 10k's. But not for long!

I'm sold on the XM 20K bulbs.

Roy

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
saltwater-nut said:
I'm sold on the XM 20K bulbs.
I've been looking for exactly this kind of quote on the boards. I just received my XM 20KK today, and of course I had to see it running immediately.

I ran it for about 4 hours, all that was left of my photoperiod. A couple of my corals did not take well to the sudden darkness followed by sudden massive blue light ;)

Overall, I think it looks pretty cool. I have always been a big fan of blue, anywayz, and am excited for the thing to completely burn in. I have looked at some pictures of the Radiums with the XM side by side and they look similar to me, but had only seen the Radiums in person.

I think the Radiums look very cool, and the corals looked great! I am anxious to see how this thread progresses!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.