Quantcast

55 gallon needs a skimmer _suggestions?_offers?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

plack

Sea Otter
Please can you suggest a skimmer for me ( Or maybe someone has one for sale?) I have been told a nautalis is good but i currently have no sump. If you want more specifics read below :)

I have a 55 gallon with 50 lbs of live rock 2 " of live sand 160 watts of compact/acetinic lights a 350 magnum with 2 bio-weels lots of co-pods hermits and snails 4 blue w/yellow tail damsels and a brittle star the rock was bought fully cured and is purpleish and the sand was from a 180 gallon and all i got was a small amonia spike after the live rock was put in 8 weeks ago .

ph 8.3 dk 11.7 amonia 0.0 nitrite 0.0 nitrate 30 calcium 425
:)

Last edited:

big t

tankless
For a hangon I would suggest a remora pro w/ a mag 3. I am a firm believer in strong skimming.

CarlS

I have a 55g with sump and in the sump is an AquaC Urchin skimmer. It was doing great but ever since I removed my sand bed it doesn't seem to have anything to skim anymore.

AquaC Urchin is nice because it's one of the smaller in sump skimmers I found. 55g stands don't have much room typically. Check them out. Good skimmers for the price.

wrightme43

If you don't have a sump I recomend the prizim pro deluxe. It is 169$, it is rated to a 300 gallon tank so by the old rule of thumb "cut all manufactures claims in half" you have a skimmer good to 150 gallons. I have one and 3 prizims and one prizim deluxe. I like all of them. It makes a good syrupy foam. The pro deluxe has a drain port built in so you can run a line to a milk jug in the under tank area. It also has a adjustable surface skimmer intake which I like. I am very satisfied with mine, and believe you would be as well. Steve

Ritsuko Nashida

Lets try this one more time.....

No sump and money not a factor...Remora w/ Mag 3 would be my choice! It will work very well for you I think. Getting a sump...then thats a whole different ball game.

Regarding the Nautalis skimmer, the TE with a Mag 7 pump would be over kill in a most serious way if thats what you had in mind. For the money its one of the better skimmers for the dollar I think. I got one on my 300 frag tank and its awesome. The Berlin XL doesnt even compare performance wise. But dont get me wrong there are better skimmers out there though...

plack

Sea Otter
No Longer Needed Thanks

I now have a Remora Pro With a mag 3 and don't need the offers thank you for the suggestions :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts