Quantcast

58 gallon tank reef ready tank...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

I just picked up my 58 gallon reef ready tank. It will be a fish only with live rock.

Should I use live sand and how many fish could I put in this tank, I was thinking 5 medium size fish and maybe some shrimp and snails.

How much live rock should I put in the tank?

NaH2O

First things first - WELCOME TO REEF FRONTIERS!!!

Do you think you will eventually move into corals from your fish only with live rock (FOWLR) tank? My rule of thumb for live rock is 1-2 pounds per gallon of water. I don't believe this is necessary for a fish only, and you could add gradually as you go. The live rock will perform as a biological filter, as well as giving your fish places to hide and give you some interesting life to watch. I just noticed you also would like to keep invertebrates, too. Any ideas as to what types of fish you would like to keep?

idgy

maybe some golden head sleeper gobies, powder blue tang not sure what else. Some peppermint, blood red or cleaner shrimp.

Do you thing 5 fish and some shrimp is pushing the limits??

Thanks!

Mushroom Boy

I would definitely stay away from the powder blue tang. They're notoriously delicate with a poor track record. A 58 gallon would be too small for any tang, IMO.

Katchupoy

idgy...

WELCOME!!!

I envy you, I've been looking for that tank for so many months now... I really like the proportion of that one...If im not mistaken it has a 36" lenght? really deep... and not to high for reef use....

really nice glass tank.... :( sad face for me

idgy

I had to check around at a few shops and then one guy said he could order it for me.

For me it is just the right size. Not too big and not too small.

Sealab2021

Puffer
they've got tons of those 58 oceanics are at renton pet & fish gallery. great proportions, but the retail on those are insane(no matter where you go) for just a glass tank and the matching stands you'd think it was made of gold.

Katchupoy

I agree with you sealab... How come they are so expensive? and you cant buy these online because of shipping. too bad :(

I am eyeing a 40 gallon breeder right now... for $80 something....

:(

Sealab2021

Puffer
well they are very nice looking quality, and the stands are above average in materials. but a 58glass w/stand(no matter how good lookgin) for $550.. WTF?!?

I tried to get just the stand(for my 40 breeder) that are coming with those... they want $300

Katchupoy

the reason I want a 40 breeder i s because I bought this 40 dollar gorilla metal rack from home depot... and it has a perfect dimension for a breeder...

or a 50 gallon that has 36x18x18 which i dont see a lot...

idgy

I paid for the oceanic 58 reef readystand, tank, cap and light and glass cover top. I thought that was a large amout of money for what it is. But I was also going to go with a Tenecore reef ready and they are stupid money. That was running close to 1300.00.

Thank God for credit cards!

Scooterman

Administrator
Starting off smaller is a good way to get started, dumping a ton of cash before hand can be an expensive lesson. Seems like you have a good size tank to grow some fish, just take your time with it, & in the mean time read, read read.:oops:

idgy

I forgot to put how much it all was, I paid 900 for all. Is that a lot for a tank, stand, light, glass top?

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Cesar,
I thought those gorilla racks were like $100. I just bought the big gorilla rack for my garage.

Erwin

Katchupoy

Cookie,

Maybe the one you bought is the big one... The one I bought is on 36 inches lenght by 18inches with 4 layers and 8 pcs of legs.

This way you can make two individual shelves/cabinet or make one big one.

You can also check Costco....

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts