Quantcast

A. monticulosa

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
A buddy of mine gave me a couple of frags of A. monticulosa. I read what mojo has in the coral ID section, but I was wondering if any of you people have had some personal experience with this coral, ie., placement, lighting etc.... TIA

flip_3_6_0

what color is yours? i had a colony right under a 250 DE and all it did was stay brown so i finally traded in to kevin for some credit. Other than the color it was a hardy coral and a pretty fast grower, plus i liked the growth form.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I beleve it came from a reefer madness colony. Right now it's brown with green polyps. Mine is off to the left of a 400w radium. I hope it colors up within the millenium :D

kevinpo

Expert
I believe the one you brought in Trevor, was A. gemmifera which is more commonly imported. Both come from shallow water with high flow and are colored similarly. Often cream, purple, pink, occasionally bluish purple. Their growth forms are very similar and may overlap in shape. They often grow in close proximity even touching. So my identification is certainly not for sure (I'm certainly no expert) just my best guess :)

Check out plate #5 on pg. 325 in Veron's COW it has a picture of them growing side by side.

Regards,
Kevin

SueT

I had a small colony of A. monticulosa awhile back. I stumbled across it in a LFS. It was a cream/pink-ish coloration. The monticulosa is very short, stubby very rounded tip and the gemmifera has a longer branch with more point-y tips.

Mine did great when I used to run the 65k iwasaki's. It was lost in my 180g tank crash and I've wanted to find one ever since. It's a cool acropora.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts