Quantcast

Acropora ID help

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi all. Received a frag a year or so ago from someone in Florida. It is green with rather large polyps, much larger polyps than say Acropora loisettae, but about as large as say Acropora millepora.

Here is the picture of the mother colony. Mine is starting to look like a small colony now. It is full green skeleton and polyps, too.

It was labeled as Acropora chesterfieldensis , but I am doubting this. I've looked in the Corals ID gallery and could not find a single one that looked like this.

Hmm just not sure what species it is.

Thanks,
Ilham

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Beautiful peice Ilham!!!! Its going to be hard to tll righ now until it begins to take on its natural form. I am leaing towards chesterfieldensis.

Mike

Elmo18

Clownfish
Ok I'll have to agree too I guess. Seems almost just like yours Kevin.

Thanks for the compliment mike :D

Seems like this species doesn't grow very fast. How's your experience with your pieces Kev? Mine is within 8 inches of the top of the water line.

Thanks again,

Ilham

kevinpo

Expert
I have two different colonies of it from two different sources and they both require very high light to keep their green color very far down the branches. They grow very slowly! One of the slowest growing corals I own.

Regards,
Kevin

Elmo18

Clownfish
kevinpo said:
I have two different colonies of it from two different sources and they both require very high light to keep their green color very far down the branches. They grow very slowly! One of the slowest growing corals I own.

Regards,
Kevin
Yeah talk about slow, I guess im in the same boat. Seems like I got an inch of growth in like 4 months?!?! no maybe 3. I just like the colors, though.

When you have time, can you take a pic of the other one from the different source. I'd like to see and compare ;) and also to see which one mine looks more of.

Thanks,
Ilham

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yep mine are slow to, they tend to grow on mass instead of real branch growth like most others. High light and good flow is the bes for these.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.