Quantcast

Acrylic, Just How do..........

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Scooterman

Administrator
Acrylic, Just How do you care for your acrylic tank? Ok all of the acrylics people out there, I need some lesson posted here! I'll post the first few questions, like Ok how do you remove those there scratches, & does it actually remove them to looking like new? Plastic scrapers, your credit cards etc, when you need to clean a rather large tank, does it do a good job, and just how do you clean your acrylic surfaces without scratching everything up? What other care is needed other than scraping the surface clean, can you remove scratches under water, with a full reef in place? We all know the advantages like retains heat better, stronger than glass, clear. What other pluses & negatives or gripes do you have about your acrylic tank?

Ok now give me a lesson, sell me on this idea because I really want one for the flexibility of having 30 or so holes in it just for flow :D

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
LOL Scott. the kits (which are really just sandpaper) do take out scratches so that you can no longer see them. If you ever drain the tank the areas that you have fixed will show up a little cloud when its all dry, but then its just a matter of a some car polish (swirl remover). For a scraper I dont use the normal stoe bought I actually use another peice of acrylic to scrape with. I got one of those huge paint scrapers and took the metal blade out and replaced it with a square peice of acrylic and just use that, it goes through corraline like butter. I have about 4 squares of the acrylic and run them through the planner to keep them sharp. Other then that I use the largest magnet, tiger shark I believe.

well thats about it.

Mike

gehidore

wik, pioneerwest madman
mojoreef said:
For a scraper I dont use the normal stoe bought I actually use another peice of acrylic to scrape with. I got one of those huge paint scrapers and took the metal blade out and replaced it with a square peice of acrylic and just use that, it goes through corraline like butter. I have about 4 squares of the acrylic and run them through the planner to keep them sharp. Other then that I use the largest magnet, tiger shark I believe.
I use my old debit-card - rounded edges and a sharp blade shape.

DonW

R.I.P.
The outside of the tank I use Novus clean and shine. I think it has some sort of wax. Keeps dust from scratching with the mag float. Also makes it easier to get those SW drips off.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts