Quantcast

Actinic headache

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

deadrose

I added a small NO actinic tube to my tank yesterday, which seems to be making many inhabitants very happy, but I've noticed that looking into the tank, or even seeing it in the corner of my eye, is giving me an eyestrain-type headache.

Does this happen to other people, or am I just doomed to be the lucky one? :). And is there any good way to deal with this, or do I have to choose between my inhabitants' health and comfort and my viewing health and comfort? The MH doesn't bother me this way.

Heidi

Witfull

are you referring to enclosing your lights,,,aka canopy....or so you cannot see it through the glass?

mattseattle

i think what she is asking if Actinic lighting bothers anyone besides herself?

i don't have it on my tank right now so i can't vouch if it would bother me or no.

i know alot of people get headaches and eyestrain under normal floruoscent tubes so i don't see why your NO in your tank would be any different.

Witfull

ahhh....doesnt bother me,,,i love the room lit by just the actinics...i run 80wts on my 72 bowfront.

Gordo

If I look at my tank with the actinics on then I don't have any problems. If I look into my canopy at my actinics then my eyes freak out and I see little white spots for a couple of seconds.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
They bother me a lot. If I look into the light itself it is physically painful, like the really overstrained eye type of ache. I can see my only tank with actinic out of the corner of my eye when watching television and it bothers me. If I am going to be sitting and watching something in the dark like a movie I will usually turn off the actinic.

I've gotten used to it for the most part though, when I initially had setup the tank with strong actinic I couldn't look at the tank for long periods of time without getting a headache.

I feels like the first time I sat and played Nintendo for 8+ hours.

A

adrianleewelch

I get the same headache sometimes if I look at it too long, and remember that none of us should ever ever look at the bulbs when they are lit, the actinic bulbs are very close to the frequency of the UV teburculosis killing bulbs used in hospitals, and have some things in common with tanning bed bulbs, they all can do retinal damage. the bulbs should be placed so that you cant see the bulb itself, the resulting reflected light that you see shouldnt harm you, but headaches are common. kinda like looking into the sky without shades, its not necessarily the brightness that causes pain, but the frequency (kelvin)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.