Quantcast

Additions

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Ive decided to add a new fish or two. I need suggestions on fish that eat aptasia and razor caulerpa. Reef safe of course.

Thanks in advance
Don

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Don,
I know of two fish that eat Aptasia. I am not sure if they are reef safe though. The fish are a Copperbanded Butterfly and Bat fish.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Are you trying to stay away from Pepermint shrimp Don? Those crazy buggers cleaned up shop in my tank very quickly including a Curlique anenome...

DonW

R.I.P.
jlehigh said:
Are you trying to stay away from Pepermint shrimp Don? Those crazy buggers cleaned up shop in my tank very quickly including a Curlique anenome...
Stay away no, I just havent thought to much about it. I do know I would like to add to my inhabitants this week-end. I thought it would be nice to add to the tank while curing a problem.

Don

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
okay well I have about 6 pepermint shrimps and they were a very cheap solution for glass anenome's. My buddy did have a few rogue peps that developed a taste for his frogspawn. I on the other hand really haven't had any issues.

Good Luck!

Illusion

Peppermint Shrimps also are known for Eating Zoos and some Ricordea.. I am staying far from them as I like all the different Zoos and wouldnt like them to get munched at all... Heard all too many times about them eating Zoos..

James

wrightme43

Coperbanded are cool, You might want to quar. them with a rock that has aptasia on it though. The ones at the fish store, sometimes breakdown with Ick, but also seem to have a hard time adapting to captive foods. We have had our best luck with rocks with aptasia, and brine shimp, slowly switching to new life spectrum and marine supreme. Just my humble opinion, and experience. When they do apapt, they will wipe out aptasia, all that they can get too. And as a added benie, they are STINKING GORGEOUS! Really a elegant fish. There is also a aptasia eating nudibranch, but when it eats it all you have to trade to someone else, or it dies. I think reeftopia gets them but I'm not sure. Hope it helps you. STEVE P.S. The D-SWIRL is super cool.

cheeks69

I wouldn't recommend a CBB for aptasia control. They don't ship well often go on hunger strikes and many are caught with cyanide. I speak from experience it's very frustrating to see a fish slowly die of starvation no matter what food you try and believe me I tried many. If you are going to get one then I would suggest that you make sure he's eating before you purchase him.

Copperband Butterflies as Aiptasia Control

Terry B

If you are looking at a copperband ask the LFS to offer it some frozen or live bloodworms. They eat worms and small crustations in the wild. They need to be fed a little several times a day. They seem to have a fast metabolism. One key is to take a clue from the size of the fish's opening to its mouth. It is very tiny so if you offer pieces of scallop and shrimp cut them very small first.

Cheers,
Terry B

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks for all the advice. I did put in a couple of pepermint shrimp over the week-end. We'll see what happens. I have'nt neen hide nor hair of them since I put them in.
I did order a small Copper band and have had them in the past in my FO. I think the big key is knowing a little about the collector and convincing the LFS owner to make a special purchase for just you. Quarryshark I dont think you can starve aptaisa withouth starving everything in your tank. You can help prevent spreading.

Don

quarryshark

DonW said:
Quarryshark I dont think you can starve aptaisa withouth starving everything in your tank. You can help prevent spreading.
Don
Ya, bad choice of words. The points was to keep the DOCs down and not allowing them to thrive.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.