Quantcast

Advice from the Veterans <))><

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Krish

RF STAFF
Some of you may remember a few threads I made earlier this month on "nitrates" and "starting over". It's been one week now since the 100%change over of water to ro/di etc and the recycling process, and usually by now, hair algae would have completely taken over. I do have some, but nothing like before. I have installed my phosban reactor since and it seems to be working nicely. My only problem seems to be flow though. I turkey based my rocks after only 3 days and a lot of detrius came off of the rocks and after 6 days, I had a little bit of diatoms developing on my sand bed. Will this fuel the algae and cause it to grow (having detrius settling on my rocks)? There aren't any fish in the tank only a few hermits and coral banded shrimp, however my nitrates are still a little high (about 5-8 ppm), but not as much as before (20 ppm). Ammonia and nitrites are still zero. Should I keep my lights off for a few days or just let things run the course with the lights on on their normal cycle. I want to cut off all sources of food for the hair algae, but at the same time not jeopordize anything else going wrong. My tank does not have any corals in it as yet...Just live rock (110lbs in a 90 gal)and the coralline is growing nicely and I want it to continue. So are there any suggestions on what I should do? Any advice is always appreciated.

wrightme43

Sounds like you are dead on the right track. A small amount of diatoms seems pretty normal to me. Just keep blowing your rocks off, shiphon out the junk, and suck any hair algae you can out of the tank as well. I would feed the crabs, and shrimp a little every couple of days. HTH. Steve

wrightme43

I really dont have a firm answer on that. I would think that if it were long enough to kill the hair algae it would kill your coraline as well. I dont think in my tanks it would be worth it to me. You might pm Ms. Nikki or NAH20 and ask her what she thinks. She went through the hair algae thing and I think she won and is now on the other side. Really a nice lady and I am sure she will have a opinion for you. HTH Steve

gobie

dave the gobie
The Worst Thing You Could Do Is Devoid You Live Rock Of Light. So Many Marine Animals Need Tight To Survive. Sure Algae May Grow I Wish I Had Pictures Of My 55 When I Firs Set It Up. There Was So Much Hair On The Rocks It Looked Like One Fuzzy Decoration In The Tank .i Let My Tank Run For 1 Month With Heavy Skimming Before I Took Any Action. Then I Did 2 50% Water Changes Over 24hrs Added 3 Poly Filter Pads And 1 Xl Fox Face Rabbit Fish. I Also Started My Refuge At This Time.calerpa Grew So Fast And So Much.
My Girlfriend Shellie Thought I Was Insane She Had Never Seen A Reef Tank Before, And It Sure Didn't Look Like One Then Either. I Waited Another Week And A Water Change 25%. All This Time I've Been Checking My Amonia Levels Then Nitrites When Levels Fell Than Nitrates After That. I Kept Up Water Changes. Once Amonia Levels Fell Off I Started To Add Inverts My First Addition Was A Sally Light Foot Crab, An Awsome Algae Eater. Never Harms Corals Or Fish. Will Kill Emerald Crabs. After A Couple More Months And Water Changes And Snail Additions And Water Test Once Evertything Fell Into Place (6 Months) I Started To Add Corals. The Rest Is 8 1/2 Years Of History.

wrightme43

Hey Gobie, hook us up with some photos in the gallery, I wanna see. 8.5 years would make for some awesome growth. I bet your coraline is a half inch thick by now. LOL. If you will that would be cool. Steve

NaH2O

Krish - do you have any snails in the tank? I noticed you have some crabs in there, but no snails? Maybe I missed it. Sounds like you are on the right track now. Your rock may be processing out all the nasties from before, and that might be part of the problem. Keep blasting the rock and siphoning that junk out. Turning your lights off for a few days isn't going to harm too much, IMO. When I cycled my tank, I had the lights off for 4 weeks or so (can't remember the time frame off hand). I still am dealing with some hair algae, but it all looks to be dieing off (at least when I left for out of town....when I get home tonight it may be grasslands - eek I hope not!). I do plan on making some changes for my system, to see if it helps. Krish - have you tested your salt mix water for nitrates or phosphates? How long have you had the phosphate reactor on the tank? I would be a little patient and see how things go. It is encouraging that the algae isn't like it was before. If you can, post up a pic of the algae. It might help in problem solving. Keep us posted.

wrightme43

Nikki he has some really cool pics of his tank on pics of my 90. It looks really good now. If I knew how to link it I would. I will go and try now. Steve
Nope sorry I just dont know how. it didnt work. Its called pics of my 90 or search for all posts by krish75

Krish

RF STAFF
I've had the phosban reactor in now for 6 days. I haven't been able to test my phosphates yet because there aren't any phosphate test kits on the island. However, I did test the water I was using the first time around (well water) and the nitrates were off the charts. The ro/di water I'm using now has 0 nitrates and I'm using instant ocean for my salt mix. I have one question though, I don't know if I read it correctly, but does too much calcium cause cyno to grow? I don't know if I read that somewhere or if I had a dream about it LOL.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
My initial response to too much calcium making cyno grow would be no. To my knowlege calcuim does not make up the majority of Cyno. What could happen with too much calcium is the depletion of other elements. The balance in SaltWater is funny this way. If you start with balanced water, then escalate your calcium level too high other elements level will drop down like Magnesium. I am not sure if the decline of certain elements make the environment better for Cyno or not.

I certainly would not be worried about it only a week or two into the new cycle.. I Have given my tanks 5-8 weeks before I begin to worry about algae growth (have not had an issue)

wrightme43

Yeah what jlehigh said. LOL using IO salt unless you have dosed the heck out of CA your cool no worries. If you are using rodi water what is going to happen now, is the phospate locked in the rock and sand will slowly start to equlibarate with the water out side of it. As you do water changes not adding more phophate and use your phospate pads it will get lower and lower. You are winning the battle now from the looks of your tank. Keep doing what your doing and happiness will ensue. LOL. Put a photo of the cool rock work on this post as well. I think you did a really good job with it. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.