Quantcast

Ahhh! Close your mouth... er I mean loop.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Hey folks I have been milling over my closed looped for fare too long now and with my stand almost finished I need to decide so here is what I have come up with incorperating a 4-way oceansmotions device and an ampmaster 2100.

This is what I am thinking as far as the device. The lines are 1.5" and the bulkheads are 1".

This seem workable or did I miss something?

-Erik

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I feel your pain Erik!!! My only question is about splitting the bottom feeds for the spray bar without reducing down to 3/4" plumbing to keep the flow strong and directed for blasting stuff off the bttm...

On my plan for an 8-way I am splitting almost all 1" outputs into two 3/4" creating twice the feeds into the tank.

I'm not sure how splitting the feed two ways at the same diameter affects flow..

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Put the spray bar on a seperate closed loop or a sump. Everything else looks good. That seems like a lot of pump but then again I have a DSB.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I don't have any more questions/comments but I can offer up that I will be plumbing my 8-way soon and you are welcome to pay me a visit and watch how things are functioning. I expect to recieve it this week and would like to have it plumbed in by the end of the day Monday...

Sorry I'm not more help.. There is another extensive forum on reefcentral...

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
"Put the spray bar on a seperate closed loop or a sump."

Sorry Dan you lost me bud.
Why would I put the spray bar on a separate loop or in the sump?

I’m trying to reduce the force of the flow by splitting it up using a 2.5 outlet drum in the device. I will have it distributed among three to four out lets at all times and they will surge from one to another as it rotates. I also have a 40" sump with 10" of water that is feed by dual 1.5" standpipes and a returns via a 1150gph Blue Line pump that runs up the back of the tank and feeds out into the tank via two 3/4"(or 1/2") seaswirls on the opposite far ends of the tank.

-Erik

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Thanks jlehigh, I may have to take you up on that. I will drop you a line sometime this week. Let me know when you get it all functioning.

-Erik

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Erik,
Have you been talking to Yello Tang? I am Lmao. He is helping me with my closed loop. I am building a spray bar on my closed loop. I wanted to run a Oceansmotions 4 way. I just do not have the room to hide it. When I was talking to Paul he recommended I place that valve at the top of the tank. I just do not have the room to do that with my 90AGA.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
One more thought for ya Erik! The drums in the 4-way that determine how the flow is distributed are an inexpensive part of the device. You may want to consider purchasing 1 or 2 other variations to give you more choices.

I am getting the 1&2, 2&3, 3&4... and the 1&3......

Paul reccomends mounting the unit above the water level to allow you to perform maintenance on the unit easily. If you don't you will drain the tank while removing the drum. The other alternative would be to have ball valves on each line allowing you to close each channel before performing maintenance.

The drum is easily removed maiking it fun to switch between flow options. (I'm looking forward to it anyway)

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Ed Hahn: You caught me. I met Matt (Yellow Tang) online earlier this month and talk to him off and on.

jlehigh:
I have mine set up with ball valves, as depicted. I don’t think I want it above the water line as I have to valve off the input as it is. No reason not to keep the business end of things in a close proximity for easy removal and maintenance.

I really really like the idea of purchasing few different drums. Maybe a 1&3 and 1-2&half3 for me. I would think it would be great to swap them out now and then not only for fun randomization of flow pattern, but also for cleaning purposes. I was not aware that they were inexpensive and so easy to remove, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks folks,

-Erik

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Matt would give you the shirt off his back. He is a pretty talented guy. He can build about anything. He is going to drill my tank for me soon. Good luck on your Oceanmotions valve. I would love to see it when its done.
wish you a good one,
Ed

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.