Quantcast

Algae Again

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I am having a problem with algae. My husband fed my fish while I was out of town, and he fed them the old pellets I had. It raised the phosphates and caused an algae bloom. I don't know what else it could be. How can I get rid of it. I have bubble and hair algae and it's driving me NUTS! I was running Phosguard, but it didn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

BCT182

I ran phosguard, and what I seemed to notice is that it doesnt kill algae just prevents it from being fed so that it can grow. I could be wrong but what worked for me is to do regular water changes and blow off the rocks, basically everything scooterman said, I even just took my hands and ripped out the hair algae. It has not been back. Again, I could very well be wrong. Its just what worked for me. Good luck
Brett

DonW

R.I.P.
Beckmola24 said:
About how long can you run phosguard for and how long does it last?
Dont know about phosgaurd. I fluidize rowa 24/7. The idea is to keep it gone after you do all the work to get it out. Vac, WC, hand removal get it out and the rowa helps keep it gone.

Don

NaH2O

Time for a new husband. Dont give up on the phosban or rowa.
LOLOLOL!!!

Becky - I'm not sure how long the phosguard will last - it depends on how you have it set-up, how well the water flows through it, and what your phosphates are like. In a fluidized reactor you can check the level of phosphates coming out of the effluent. In a bag in the sump, make sure that it isn't getting turned into a brick, and water can get in it....not just around it.

By reducing the phosphates you are reducing one of the algaes food source. Did any of your other water parameters get out of whack while you were gone?

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Didn't test parameters today. I just got back yesterday. My corals all grew in the week I was gone so he must've been doing something right. Tomorrow I am planning for a water change and a cleaning. How large of a water change should I make?? I have a 20 gallon tank. Thanks!

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Anybody know where to get rowaphos?? I know Saltwater city carries phosguard, but not rowa. Don't know about anywhere else. Thanks!

DonW

R.I.P.
Beckmola24 said:
Anybody know where to get rowaphos?? I know Saltwater city carries phosguard, but not rowa. Don't know about anywhere else. Thanks!
If your going to use Rowa I would contact North Coast Marine (sponser) and buy the little Phosban 150 reactor works great cost little.

Don

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Ok, I feel really stupid now... :) The skimmer I had on my 20 gallon was my first skimmmer. I just realized today (after scrubbing rock and changing water... etc) that I had the cone twisted the wrong way and not enough bubbles were getting to my collection cup.... After switching directions on the cone my water is as clean as a whistle (after dumping the cup like 4 times today).... I'm sure I won't have algae problems in the near future. It's one of those moments that I realized I could've saved HOURS of cleaning and worrying about algae if I'd just read the instructions a little more carefully.... All this time I just thought the skimmer was just crappy :) LOL...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts