Quantcast

ammonia issues in quarantine

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

doomus

I set up a quarantine tank last week for a flame angle. I picked him up on friday and have been having problems keeping the amonia down. I don't always have the qt tank set up so I keep a filter cartridge for it in my sump so when I get a new fish I have bacteria ready to go.

But my ammonia was starting to creep up so I picked up some Ammo Lock. After using it my ammonia readings are still the same. Has anyone tried this product before? It says that it doesn't get rid of ammonia just converts it to non toxic, would that be why it still shows up on the test? Is it ok for my fish?

dennis

NaH2O

dennis - I would do a water change. I'm not sure how the product works, maybe converts ammonia to ammonium?? I believe test kits pick that up as well. At any rate, a water change will be your friend.

Boomer

RF Staff
Dennis

You proably have the wrong kind of test kit. It needs to be the Salicylate method type, such as a SeaTest. You are better off with Amquel as a product

snobanker

Also, if I remember correctly don't those ammonia "reducing" additives still give the same reading because the ammo is just converted to a less toxic form of ammo??

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.