Quantcast

Another NEWBIE needs your advice! =)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Jiddy

Hello all you fish experts, im brand new to this site, but after surfing it for over three ours now (lol) YOU CAN BET ILL BE BACK. Anyways, ive raised freshwater fish since i was i can rember, over some 15years, anyways im finally finacially and mentally ready to start a saltwater tank. Ive bought the books, ordered the magazines and chatting with my one LFS (i live in S.Dakota, im lucky to have the one!) So i had some grey areas and wanted to get the vast knowledge of the forum to help clear these.... I havent bought anything yet so i wanted to tell you what im gettin and let you judge it, this is for a standard 55g that will hold anemone and a pair of reg. clowns-Undergravel filter (heard these are outdated nowdays) 2 maxi-jet 900 blowers, UV sterilizer, SeaClone 150 p.skimmer, fluval 304 canister, and i was goin to get macro-media substrate (now that i read the forums, seems like sand is the way to go?) Wanted you guys advice on this gear before i drop the money on it... P.S. love this site! Thanks in advance guys! :cool:

NaH2O

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Besides the anemone, do you think you will keep any corals?

Some hobbyists feel the SeaClone skimmer doesn't work that well, but I've heard they made some modifications and it performs better. I would look into a better quality skimmer if the budget allows. I feel a bigger and better skimmer would be more important than a UV Sterilizer + skimmer. Use the money budgeted for the UV and put it towards the skimmer.

Here is a thread for you, if you haven't read it yet Let's Talk About ~Filtration Concepts.

Jiddy

Thanks for the quick response Nikki! Anyways, yea that is what ill do then, and i dont know if i will have any corals yet, i pretty much have to order everything off the internet and dont have the knowledge of who to buy from yet. Another big concern i have is lighting, i was goin to go with- (50/50 actinic 10k bulbs and 4x65) Think that will be good? and what about the substrate?

wrightme43

Hi Welcome to Reef Frontiers! Glad you are here. If it were my tank I would take a skip on the undergravel and go with live sand. Two bags of aragalive live sand and one bag of figi pink dry araganite should give you a nice sand bed. Let the live rock cure in the tank shiphon out the junk, and then put in your sand. (That way the junk from the live rock doesnt bury in the sand and rot) If you are going to go without a sump, check around on here and you will find a cpr bac pac skimmer or a remora hang on skimmer for less than new cost.
If you stack your live rock up very close to the surface, I have been able to keep anemone under p.c. light for years. They seem to do just fine under it for me. My tank is a 75 and I keep alot of stuff under 4x 96wt pc bulbs. Go with quality in your live rock, filters, sand, skimmer, and lighting. This will save you hours of headaches, lots of money (coral is cheaper to keep alive than to buy again and again till you give up) and make for a great hobby.
A book called the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner is a investment that will reap rewards for years to come. It is usually about 29.99 and is written very clearly, with a over view of lighting, filtration, heating, skimming, types and families of coral, anemone, clams, inverts, and fish. It will save you hundreds in learning mistakes that seem like a great idea at the time. Hope this helps you in some way. Steve

Jiddy

Thanks for the advice Steve, my one LFS is a ripe-off so i need to know a good place to buy LIVE ROCK on the internet, i was thinking Marshal Is. type, any suggestions on that?

wrightme43

I have never bought Marshall before. I got tonga branch from www.vividaquariums.com Dave is a great guy and one of our sponsors. Look thru the sponsors links at the top of the page. You will find someone that stocks it. Remember that shipping will add quite a bit to the price. Marshall is very pretty rock. Here is what a tonga branch tank with pc. lights and a sand bed can look like. HTH Steve

NaH2O

Here is a thread about lighting and anemones. Your lighting will depend on the type of anemone you want to keep. Lighting advice

As far as live rock goes - check out the Sponsors page, like Steve pointed out. Premium Aquatics has some great rock also - I'm fortunate enough to see their stock. Marshall Island is good stuff, and Kaelini seems to be pretty popular, too. Remember to figure in shipping when determining the cost of live rock. Also, uncured rock is usually cheaper then cured.

Hope this helps!

plack

Sea Otter
For live rock from walt smith you can check this out and make sure they ship it out on a monday
http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/
I would also skip on the undergravel filter and u.v. and get a good skimmer also the water flow is important basically you need to decide if you are going with zooanthids leathers and maybe some montipora digita or if you really want to go all sps the reason is the setup and equipment required is more demanding for sps the water flow needs to be much faster for some sps and they would also need metal halides as well a safe bet either way is to get a sump there are different ways to do it with holes drilled into the tank or an overflow box but this is much less hastle and much better for just about anything than getting a canister filter I have had both and would NOT recommend a canister it can be done but it's a pain to constantly clean and still doesn't do as good a job I would get a cpr overflow box with lift pumps a sump (could be a cpr wetdry with liverock instead of bioballs or just a rubbermaid container with a tube sock skimmer and a submersible return pump) decide on the livestock you would be interested in down the road ( why not start out with metal halides they are good for almolst anything) and get the maxi jet 1200's more flow you almolst cant have too much and that would not be too much for even soft coral anyway if you see deals remember they will be around later first decide what you like and want to do if you want to do almolst anything you will need metal halides and more flow than 2 maxi 1200 jets but these things will work with anything the type of skimmer is also important hope that helps :)

Jiddy

Thanks for the LR website Steve, i totally like the tonga! Curious about your filtration system, in your 75g?
Thanks for the update Nikki, im leaning towards the uncured because it will be a new tank... I read about how to cure, and im leaning toward a quadricolor anem.
Thanks Plack for the knowledge, im goin to websearch to figure out what all those terms mean (lol) and gland to hear that i can use Maxi-1200 from the ideas my LFS gave me..... I love this website and thanks for all the info guys, dont think im runnin out of questions just yet!

wrightme43

Picture of filtration system. Pretty basic, Skimmer I will not recomemed Get a better one than a prizam pro deluxe. It worked fine for about 6 months now it is just a headache. For the money I paid I expect quality. No more Red Sea products for my tanks. Sorry Red Sea. My sump is a 20 long, with glass bubble dividers made from glass cut at lowes for under 5$ I got filter sock holders from www.marinedepot.com I use the hagen aquaclear foam in between the dividers and a quiet one 6000 return to a home made spray bar with lock lines. (Soon switching to sea swirls) Ebo Jager heater. And a CPR overflow rated to 1200 gph with a aqualifter pump to prevent siphon/air lock on the overflow. Really a very very simple system to build and maintain. If you decide to go with a 20 long sump!!!! IMPORTANT note PUT THE SUMP IN BEFORE FILLING THE TANK WITH WATER!!!!! I had to brace my stand and remove the front center post to get the sump in. Not recomended. PITA it was. I also use a american dj switched/fused/and circuit breaker power panel. Its lighted with switchs for all my equiptment. Hope that helps in some way. Steve

wrightme43

If you want to see more pics I will have to wait. My camera is a SONY being repaired, and my hard drive had crashed and was replace, able to save most files but some are lost. HTH Steve

Jiddy

I Would Like More Pic's Of Your Sump When You Get Your Camera Steve, Thanks For The Help. I Wont Start My Tank Until I Get Enough Info Anyways, The Books Are Great But Im Seeing Differant Trends Here. I Started Out With (saltwater For Dummies) Which Was Great, I Have Marine Setup And A Clownfish/anemone Specific Book Too, So My First Question Is About Sumps, Im Not Real Sure What One Is, Nikki Do You Have A Link? (lol) My Other Question Is About What Type Of Cpr Bac-pac Skimmer To Get? (dp Dual Ps, Sr Venturi, Or Air Driven?) Thanks Guy

NaH2O

You don't have to have a sump and/or refugium. The sump provides extra water volume, which leads to more tank stability (chemistry), it also provides a great place for your equipment, so it won't be cluttering up the tank. Refugium is another that you don't have to have. This will depend on what you are looking for the refugium to accomplish.

Jiddy

Thanks for the links Nikki, i will read them in a minute. Right now i have another question for tank setup, i have an old 10g i can use for a sump, then i need a overflow box and a pump also right? let me go read your links now! =)

wrightme43

LINKMASTER Nikki!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you been taking lessons from Boomer? LOL
I agree sumps are not neccesary but oh so nice. Great place to drip kalk, and make up water. Hide equiptment, and the extra water volume is nice. Also you can get a better skimmer design. Hang on Tank skimmers seem to be a comprimise between function and the ablility to hang on the tank. In sump or dry application skimmers seem to perform better. I am wanting the ASM G-2 skimmer for my tank. Vivid has them on sale right now. HTH Steve

wrightme43

If you use a 10 you will probley have to have it drilled for external return pump and external skimmer supply. Usually not that expensive to have it done.

Jiddy

Okay, so lets go over this one last time, i think i got it: With my 55g if i get a HangOn Remora skimmer (what gph??) a overflow tank to a CPR sump tank, 2 MJ1200, the 3 bags of sand Steve recomended, and some lights(that ill talk about later) i should be good for a anemone tank? Hows this all sound?

wrightme43

Well it should work. I dont have a lot of experience with the remora skimmer. I hear it works well. I like cpr products. If you use the overflow, make sure you get the aqualifter pump. It makes sure the air doesnt slowly build up in the overflow. Its like 9.99$. Just my way of doing things though. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts