Quantcast

Anthelia

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jesshimom

I have no fish.
Hey everyone,

I have this gargantuan beautiful pink anthelia on a rather large flat live rock in the center of my 60 gallon tank. I kid you not, Scott and I see it grow more each week. SOme of you that were at the house for the bbq saw it and commented on it's size. Well, it's half again bigger since then. What do I do with it?? (Hurray, to finally have such a problem in my tank ... :) )

I am not crazy that it spreads as it's hard to contain... I tried scraping it with my finger nail and I see that I can get the edge of it up but it emits all this white milly like substance when I do that. I was wondering, when I next do a water change how about if I took the entire rock and anthelia out and put it in say a dish pan with the tank water so I could work on it there, can I just scrape it off or will that kill it or what? How to I scrape a peice off and make a frag out of it attached on to something else? I already have some growing in three different spots where I initially had it sitting way back when I first got it.

I suppose I could sell the entire rock and anthelia, but I liek the rock and it is my centerpiece!!?!?!?!?!

I'd appreciate any ideas how to go about controlling this monster.

If you can get back to me I could bring some to Saturday's meeting; that is if I dont kill it trying to get it off the rock.

Thanks, Colleen

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Colleen,

After I left chat last night, I thought of my "insta-frag" method. Basically, using a hammer and chisel, break off a thin portion of the rock underneath the coral. Then you can glue this anywhere you want or sell it to friends. You don't have to remove the coral from the rock this way.

If you like the looks of the rock and don't want to chip it anywhere, try your idea. Put it in a second container with tank water and try to carefully scrape off the anthelia. It will put out the milky substance and it WILL stink to the high heavens. Anthelia can be allowed to attach on it's own if you have a week or so. Put some rubble in the bottom of a tupperware container and cover the top of the container with bridal veil that is available at most hobby stores.

It is important that you put some NEW carbon in the tank to remove any alleopathic chemicals (i.e. chemical warfare). Anthelia doesn't seem to exhibit as much chemical warfare as a lot of other softies, but it will put out some.

And now for something completely different....I liked this pic.

jesshimom

I have no fish.
Oh that is a cute picture!!

That's a great idea, I'm not attached to the rock, Scott and I can just bust up the rock....

Thanks alot Curt, you were very helpful!

Colleen

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts