Quantcast

Any Info on Pom Pom Crabs??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I've had a Pom Pom Crab in my mini reef for about a week and a half. I've only seen it about 3 x's in the past week, but i know it's ok cause i saw it a few mins ago. Does anybody know anything about these little guys? It doesn't have anemones in it's claws. How does it get ahold of them? I feed my tank mysid, krill, plankton, squid, brine and a flake food. Will this be alright for the crab? I'd appreciate any info on the little guy. They seem very interesting.

Sealab2021

Puffer
I had one too for about a month before he died(for whatever reason, probably lack of calcium or iodine after he molted).
she had a huge cluster(well same size as her) of red eggs she carried around, had no anemones in hand either.

the guy at the store said, if they don't come with anemones from the wild, they're not gonna get any new ones from an aquarist's tank
I did see some with anemones, and they're really little, smaller but more bulbous than aptisa

obviously they seem pretty defenseless for a crab, and probably wouldn't hurt a fly in your tank, & I sure wouldn't put any other crabs or banded coral shrimp.
I wish they weren't so expensive or I'd get a few, IMO probably the coolest looking little crab.

christyf5

I have 5 in my tank. They came with anemones but this was the first time I had seen them with anemones at the store. They never seem to bother anything in the tank and when I see them (which isn't very often, they're rather reclusive) they're either poking about in the rocks or just waving their little pom poms back and forth. Very cool animals IMO :D

Christy :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.