Quantcast

anyone breeding cardinals locally?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Electrokate

I am looking for someone in the area breeding Banggai or Pyjama cardinals both to learn about and get a pair if possible of captive bred fish or a few babies I can raise up and pair off. Anyone out there? I am new to this group and to marine fish but have been breeding freshwater fish (and birds) for a bit. Also, anyone ever try feeding livefoods grown for freshwater fish to marine fish? I have 8 species of livefood in my basement right now... hope some of them cross over. :)
Thanks,
Kate B
Oly WA

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi kate. Darryl at Below Sea Level has and still is breeding them. He has a pair up along one of his tanks on top. He has the babies in the small cubicles next to them.

I might try to do this as well, when i get more space ehehehe

- Elmo :)

Electrokate

cardinals

Thanks for the tips on the cardinals! I am spoiled in that my freshwater fish are almost all good breeders and now I feel like I am holding out by not breeding a species. So I feel sort of obligated to return to the community a few babies and cardinals seem like the best candidate for my setup. I like baby fish too. I am not out to make any money (fortunately) so small common fish are a fine choice, and I will probably go for dottybacks and green chromis too. But for now I want to try pairing up a couple young cardinals and see how that part goes. First things first right?
I have the tank space, just need to sell a few of the freshwater species first.
Kate
Oly WA

gljjr

Here is a pic of one of Darryl's offspring that I picked up a few months ago. They are great fish! Mine even sleep in my LTA at night! Scared the heck out of me the first night when I saw them sleeping in the anemone!

Added pic back in...

Last edited:

Electrokate

cardinals

what a beautiful guy! I still haven't made it up there... almost did and then saw the holiday traffic and decided I would have more fun cleaning tanks and generally putzing around at home. Not fond of driving in traffic! :)
Did make it to "Pet___" and it was so sad... you can really see the difference between the captive bred and wild caught fish in a place like that. The captive bred fish were the ones thriving in the tanks, the wild caught were all dead or dying. (Didn't buy a thing from them after seeing the ones that had been dead for a day or two still in the tanks) I am definitely going to go with domestic bred. Good thing I like small fish ;)
Kate

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts