Quantcast

Anyone mix their lights?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wanareef

reefer addict
Planning for the next upgrade - 300gal in wall ply tank. 75"l x 27"h x 34"d

Wanting to use some of my existing lights the tried and true Iwaski's. I calc that I will need 6 MH's over this tank and I am on a budget. So does anyone have a mix of lights both "K" and wattage?

What I want to do across the front:

actinic --------------
250w 12k - 250w 65k - 250w 12k

across the back:

actinic ------------------------ actinic
250w 65k - 400w 10k - 250w 65k

Opinions? Suggestions? TIA :confused:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Wananreef I have always mixed my lighting. I think its the best way to get the best out of each bulb. When blending light colors you just have to make sure you bend the reflectors a bit. The standard reflectors are barn shaped and tend to focus the light to a two foot square. If you are going with 6 lights I would line them up in a row of three across the front and three across the back. make the outside light the iwasakis and then put the new pight in the center. On the reflectors bend the center lights reflector flat along with the outsides reflector inside flap. this will allow the lights to blend with out being visably noticable.

gee hope I discribed that well enough, if not let me know

Mike

jazznreef

ive always mixed lights but mostly cause i buy most of my stuff used. so, when i find a deal i grab it. this means i might have an hqi on one side and a mogul on the other. to clarify, i buy new bulbs but bounce around alot on ballasts. it works for me but others might think its screwy. im happy with it though,

kevinpo

Expert
My tank is 44" front to back. I use 36" reflectors (3 center reflectors) and 2 - 24" refectors on the ends. The ends and center are 400W 10,000K Ushio and the bulbs in between are 20,000K Radiums.

Regards,
Kevin

wanareef

reefer addict
Thank you for the feedback guy's

Mike elequient as usually :lol: :rolleyes:

Kevin - did you make your own reflectors? Nice way of mounting the tubes

jazznreef - as long as it works :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.