Quantcast

anyone see front page Seattle Times?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CarlS

Here's a link to the article. Some nice pictures too!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001780920_coral02m.html

Elmo18

Clownfish
Yeah i definitely read taht. Sunday paper last week I believe.

Trawling vs. corals over in Alaska.

A very nice read.

- ILham

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Alaskan corals

Let's see where do I find a distributor? Then I'll need a big chiller, what do these damn things eat? I guess I'll have to purchase the ROV instead of the three or four Ferrari's.

In all fairness to the fishermen, I do believe that they should feel threatened. Like gun-control, abortion, religion in schools, and many other hot topics: opponents to these issues will stop at nothing to get their way; legal or not. The facts aren't in on this issue. The fact that corals live in Alaska at depth has been known for decades. The extent of them has only been recently discovered.

This issue could go either way with relatively little impact. It is a small fishery that only contributes five percent of catch to Alaska. Take it away and other than some dispalced fishermen it would go unnoticed. Allow it to be fished and the impact on the overall environment would probably be limited to the areas fished and even that could recover if fished responsibly. The area that they are discussing in the article is the Aleutian Chain. It is where the Pacific Ocean plate slides back into the Earth every two-hundred million years. It is incredibly deep on the southern side. The other side is the Bering Sea. When deep water hits this wall of volcanoes, it rises creating one of the few consistent and non-seasonal upwhelings. This nutrient rich water reaches the oxygen rich surface on a continual yearly basis. This why the Bering Sea is so productive, not because of sound management.

I have worked aboard a factory trawler in the Bering Sea and the Aleutian Archipeligo. The ship I was on was a "small one" about 250 feet. It was converted from a shrimper in the 80's after they realized there was no money in shrimp; can't find 'em(whales can!) The net size was refered to as a 50 ton. It would haul-in 50 tons of sealife per net deployment. The big ships would haul-in 80 tons. This took about 8 hours to process conveting pollock into little triangular fish fillet's for Skippers. The fish that was not of goof quality(too many parasites, worm, etc.) went to make fish sticks. All sorts of animals get caught in these nets: salmon,king salmon, cod, halibut, even an occasional whelk or king crab. It was the bleeders job to seperate the pollock from the jellyfish and other non-targeted species, which then go overboard(Orcas will follow the boats snapping up 30lb cod like or'devoures.) The observer is hired by the Government to make sure they comply. One of my assigned jobs there and off the coast of Washington was run around the factory deck and kick King Salmon into the grinder so they would not be counted against their quota, lest they be forced by the observer to stop fishing before the season is over. The season for pollock started at nine month to year long openings. I think there down to a couple of weeks now. This was for about two thousand dollars a month. I got fired from the ship off the coast of Washington. I guess I didn't do my job good enough!

I have also worke aboard research ships. I was on a cruise for the University of Hokkaido on the "Hokusai Maru" and got to deploy a drift net. It came up empty. We were halfway between Alaska and Hawaii and it was a small 300 meter net. I don't think they pulled ten fish from the net. It was only set for twenty-four hours. The boat was mainly on a squid research expedition. At night the researcher would turn on the light to attract the feeding squid. The Mahi-Mahi would then chase after them. The squid would litteraly leap out of the water to flee them. They would impact the side of the boat with thuds all night. Mahi-Mahi is best fresh!

Sati

Oh, I saw that story in when I opened up Seattletimes.com last week. I'm really amazed that those corals have so much color.. in Alaska! With areas 100% covered, that sounds pretty awesome :]

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.