Quantcast

baby conch

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

i was examining my live rock tonight as i seem to do several times a day looking for new life forms. well tonight i found something new.....i swear it's a baby conch. i bought an adult conch about a month and a half or so ago. i thought it took 2 conch's to reproduce.

it's about the size of a large pop rock (if you remember that candy from your childhood days). it's has a white shell with a little brown in it. i looked closely and the shell is shaped just like my adult conch. it also has the little snuffle-upagus trunk sticking out the front as well as the leg in the back. he is just toodaling along on the rock when i saw him.

i'm amazed this little guy has survived long enough to get this large without being eaten by something else.

Montanarocknreefer

New Sheriff In Town
Hey Mattseattle! It is so interesting to see the new critters on our LR show up! My tank is 2 years 6 months old and I still see new things pop up all the time!
It is hard to say if the small snail is a conch as there are so many species that can look so much alike when they are so small. Hopefully it is not a predatory snail! Can you get a pic of it? Johnny:)

Doug1

Prolly came in on some of the rock, and its taken this long for you to find . Hopefully its not one of the predatory whelks. Keep an eye on your snails and watch for sudden increase in snail mortalities :( Good Luck :)

mattseattle

Whelks are the largest snails in this area. Related Lightning Whelk grows to 16", and is sometimes called Conch and eaten as such. Whelks prey on bivalves by drilling through their shells.
-----

eeks..... it does sorta look like this but then again this whelk i found also looks sorta like the conch i have. guess i'll just keep on a look out for snail deaths.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.