Quantcast

Bad experience with Les Scwabb Tire Company.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
April 9, 2004 I took our Honda in to get work done at The Les Schwabb Tire Store in Richland, Wa. The following day I drove it to Soccer practice. When I got to the soccer field. I noticed I had one center from the custom wheels missing. I decided to check the rest of my wheels. I noticed the besides the rear drivers side wheel that my front passenger wheel was broken in the middle. I was pretty upset. We spent about $200 a piece for these wheels. I have five of them.
I called Les scwabb Tire store that did the work. He acted like he knew what happened. He asked me to come back to store and He would fix me up. I told him they do not make this wheel anymore!
I have talked to four different people since then. They have done nothing but try to sell me more wheels or give me wheel with out centers. I gave them the center of my spare wheel to locate parts for my wheels. The guy lost my center piece. So now I have three incomplete wheels out of five. The wheels are no longer available. A rep for the company offered me 50 dollars a wheel. They want me to pay for the damage they did!
I spoke with a attorney friend I had used before. He said take them to small claims court. He stated you have a reciept for your work. You have been contacting them since April 10th. If they wanted to repair your car they would have done it by now. As a last effort to get wheels I spoke with a person that use to sell this wheel as recommended By Les Scwabb Rep. The person they recommended says that wheel went up in value because people that have these if they have a accident like me they want them more. So he told me the price of that wheel is worth at least $50 dollars more to him. He asked me to keep in contact with him.

As a result the my lawyer friend told me to take them to small claims court. He stated I should ask for $1000 dollars for wheels since I had a set of five. He also stated I should ask for $500 dollars at least for Grief they have put me through. He also said I should bring the charges and documentation of all the times I tried to communicate with them and who I talked to.

He says I will definitely win! I am just pissed at the whole situation.

I spoke with Insurance commisioner personel they said I should do the same.
details later....

Alice

Sheeeesh! That's the best Les Schwab can offer you? I'd be thinking about taking them to court myself!

Reminds me of a true story that happened years ago in Eastern Oregon. The Les Schwab in either Prineville or Redmond (can't remember which right now) got caught dumping boxes of nails on the highway, about 5 miles out from their store!

Good luck, Ed

MarineDreamer

Est. April 2nd, 2005
front passenger wheel was broken in the middle.
Hey Ed,

Do you mean to tell me that one of the spokes was broken from the hub? As in clean through? If that's the case: A) Think about the amount of force it would take to break that. I've seen tons of accidents where the tire was folded under the car or clean ripped off, but other than a few scuffs, the rim was functional. And B) I shudder to think that you were driving on that rim. Especially in your area were highway speeds are more than the 15 MPH that us west enders travel on our highways!

I second what your friend told you about writing down your conversations with the representative of Les Schwab. I.E. Name of the person with whom you were speaking, the date that spoke with them and the time, the nature of the conversation and what, if any, plan of action that you and the individual with whom where speaking agreed to and the time in which that plan was to be implemented. And don’t forget to take pictures.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

Trevor :cool:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Man, that's too bad to hear. I hope everything turns out okay, I'm surprised they aren't trying to make it right. Did they mount new tires on your wheel or anything? I'm wondering how they could have broke it without putting the wheel on a tire press.

I used to have them mount tires and wheels for me. I often find alloy wheels without tires to use on future projects, then I just mail order up the tires and (now) have Discount Tire mount them. Before I was using Les Schwab, until the last time when I went to pickup the wheels the tires were still unmounted and one wheel had been broken, they told me when I showed up that "because of liability we no longer can mount wheels and tires that aren't ours." and because the wheel was a 30 year old Porche alloy that it was prone to failure and needed to be replaced anyway so they weren't going to compensate me for it, and it was too bad that I was "dumb enough" to buy a brittle wheel in the first place. They had a very bad attitude about the whole deal, and even tried to blame it on me mail ordering tires.

Raise hell, they have liability insurance for cases like this.

Good luck.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
They did work on another part of the car. They rotated the tires because they are pretty new. They are Les Schwabs best touring tire. Its a Z Ultra 800 or something close to that. They used a air wrench on them and broke them. Then they lost the other part of my from my spare wheel. Then they tried to sell me more wheels. So i have three wheels damaged now. They offered once to repaint my spare that has a scratch on it. Then they offered me to two wheels and I buy two wheels. Then they offered me 4 wheels without centers. I thought why would anyone want 4 wheels that are incomplete? I have a set of five of these. They are just hoping I will forget it and move on. I have talked to 5 people so far from Les Schwab. The manager Chad at Richland Store, The manager at Kennewick store Asaya . A insurance person Gail, Someone by the name of Deny who I have no Idea who he is...That keeps trying to get me to buy 50 dollar wheels. And the woman at Richland store (receptionist) that finally gave me the claims department. They do not want me to fill out a claim. In fact they actually called me back after I asked for claim. Before that they did not return calls. Deny told me he would handle it whoever Deny is.. Deny is a long distance number that I have talked on for about 2 hours now. Deny is telling me it is Chads fault, Asaya says its Denys fault. I don't jcare.. I want my car fixed the way it was before you damaged it. I am not buying your wheels. I want the same wheel or something comparible. I want them to pay for it cause they did it.

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
I went in person to Les Schwab to drop off a payment and when I went to leave my car was gone. After a short search I found it in a bay with all four wheels off and they were putting new tires on it....... They called they guy who was doing the work on my car and tried to explain to him that he was supposed to put new tires on a Gray Ford ... and that the one he was working on was a Blue Chevy ... They appologized and put my car back the way it belonged and let me go on my way. The problem was that I had left the keys in my car..... How silly of me.

DonW

R.I.P.
Ed,

As a shop owner I can understand where your comming from. I can offer up some advice. First of all most lawyers dont have a clue about automotive repair law nor do they have a clue about small claims, they are not allowed to step foot in the door. Since the shop did not intend cause you the grief or steal from you asking for additional money in small claims will just piss off the judge if your lucky enough to get one. Usually you will get a protem that cannot make a decision as to wether or not to award you "grief money".
If you do file this case, you will have to go to arbitration first. Since the company you are dealing with is huge they will probably send in a professional arbitrator. This person will probably be a staff lawyer given the authority to make decisions on behalf of the corp.
If you do not come to a agreement you will go home, he will walk into the next room and file a motion for the preceedings to be moved to superior court. You will then be served and have about two weeks to get a lawyer and have him file an answer.
All of this will cost you a ton of money and possibly a counter. There is a well written disclaimer that you signed when you dropped your car off. Have a automotive repair law lawyer read it before you rush down to district court.

The best way to handle this is to simply call your insurance company. They will contact the shops insurance company and all will get done quick and easy. They will either make you happy or have a insurance claim.
I understand you are pissed but court is not the way to go. It will cost you a ton in the process. You will not be eligible to recover legal fees because you did not first attemp an insurance claim. You must exhaust all resources before turning to the state.

Don

Fly n Reef

Sky Goddess
I agree with Alice...good info Don.

I had a bad experience a few years ago with the Southcenter Les Schwab. My car is a sports car and has different size tires for the front and the back. Which I never knew myself until I had my car in for regular service at the dealer and they brought it to my attention. The dealer cautioned me that the car may not handle properly on wet pavement or on turns. I immediately went back they attempted to correct it. It took me 4 different visits and several hours waiting in their lobby and several phone calls to get the job done right. What a PITA. Lesson learned.

Good luck! I hope it turns out in your favor.

DonW

R.I.P.
Ed,

Look again, In the past twent years I have never seen a invoice or intake form without a disclaimer. Check the back of all your paperwork.

Don

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I had a flat tire today with that car. I notice my jack was missing. It was there before car was worked on by Les Schwab last time. They took the spare wheel cover off my spare and moved things around....How would that make you feel? I can tell you how I felt stranded. They want me to buy rims and tires from them? Too many mistakes or strange things popping up...I am going else where. They have offered me 5 wheels so far.

THIS IS THEIR OFFER...COPIED AND PASTED

Good Morning Ed:

As promised, I have attached a photo of the ADR Type 25 wheel. Because this wheel was last years model, we only have approximately 90 of these left in stock at various stores within the company. We can locate and have delivered 5 13" wheels to the Richland Columbia Center Les Schwab Tire Center within a few days.

I understand you will review and get back to me.

I did check with our Director of Purchasing on the Allesio wheels. We do not have any buying program with them. He was unsure if they currently offer a wheel in 13".

After discussing this further with management, here is what our company is willing to offer you as a compromise to resolve this matter.

1. We can locate and install 5 ADR Type 25 13" wheels at no charge and you keep your old wheels.

2. We order and drop ship 5 Primax 471 (painted alloy) 13" wheels to our Richland Columbia Center store and
install at no charge. You can keep you old wheels.

3. We will issue you a check for $400.00 ($80.00 per wheel x 5) as a
cash settlement for your loss and you can keep your old wheels.

Please let me know your response. Thank you.

(See attached file: im000066.jpg)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts