Quantcast

Balancing Calcium And Alk

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

SaltwaterTeen

Hi, I have the calxmax 2-part system and need help balincing alk/cal. I checked cal lastnight, and it was 520ppm and my alk was about 3-3.5 meq/l. I added more alkalinity from the calxmax. Will adding more alk lower the calcium? I was told that at saltwater city. Also, when I get it balanced, what do I do????

reedman

Basically you are going to keep adding the Alk additive to maintain your alk while allowing your cal to come down naturally. This should work fine.

The way it was explained to me was to think of a bucket filled with 50 white marbles and 50 black marbles. If you add more white marbles then some of the existing marbles will have to come out (black marbles). There is always a balance (100 total) in the bucket. White marbles are alk, black are cal (or vice-versa).

DonW

R.I.P.
I would hang onto the calmax and use it to make balanced additions only, just to expensive to juggle with. I dont know how you top off your tank, I would just use baking soda in your top off until you hit that magic number. Once you get there you can figure out exactly what your system consumes and dose just that.

Don

NaH2O

Once you are balanced, make sure your make up water for water changes is balanced, too.

SaltwaterTeen

Ok, thanks! This should help alot!!! I have quite abit of seachem reef builder alk, so I will keep the alk stable while the cal goes down, and clam should hlelp bring it dow. Also, reedman, that makes the whole alk and cal balancing soo much easier with that black and white marble figure, thanks!!!!

Katchupoy

Also take note that some products when adding ALK raises PH slightly. That is true in B-IONIC two part additives... So always test your parameters... before and after...

The calcium needs to go down naturally.

Also take notes of your readings... so in the future you will know how much calcium you are consuming.... So lets say today you have 520ppm... then check it next week again.... and record the reading... lets say 420ppm... then you have a 100ppm consumption per week.

Now, ususally we only use the two part additive (calmax) to balance calcium and alk.... But once it is balance, you can proceed on dosing KALKWASSER. which is naturally balanced already so you dont have to worry about how much of part a and part b...

The only thing you need to know now is to dose it slowly.....
Lets say 1 teaspoon per 10 gallon fresh RO/DI water (for top off)... then check calcium after a week of dosing...

If the reading is going down then... add
Say 3 teaspoon per 10 gallon fresh RO/DI water (for top off))... then check calcium after a week of dosing...

amd so on and so forth... until you reach the 2 teaspoon per 1 gallon saturation...

Is it teaspoon or tablespoon.... Im not sure... nedd to go back to my notes about that...

Sorry...

MikeS

Its 2 teaspoons per gallon topoff maximum....

I agree...work slowly into a kalk dosing schedule....and dose it slowly into the tank as well. Some use dosing pumps, I just drip mine. I do it at night, or early in the morning, to avoid pushing the pH of the tank too high above 8.4.

MikeS

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts